•25•

"Slow down, we have to be one of the last ones there. Nobody can see you, especially him. He told me to keep you away. No matter what.", Dwight pleads trying to keep up with you in the staircase.

Adrenaline courses through your veins. You can't even think straight. Somehow you're coherent enough to take heed to Dwight's words and you let him lead the way. All you want to do is break into a full sprint and drag Negan out of here.

You were oblivious to his wants of staying at the cabin with you until earlier when Dwight revealed it. With what information you had, you couldn't let Negan give everything up, especially not for you. He made this all happen. He built this community. You'll never understand what about you could make him want to abandon it. With his safety on the line, you couldn't regret your decision more.

He's not helpless and you know that. You know he can take Simon. But he's your lifeline. He gives you a reason to get up in the morning, to stay sober, to smile, to laugh. It's been so long since you've been happy. Him being in danger, being in a situation where he might die, is enough to shake you to your core.

As you make it to the bottom of the staircase, Dwight peers out the small window of the door. You can hear a muffled voice through the steel, causing your hands to become clammy.

"Okay, it looks like everybody's here. They're just talking. No matter what happens, you stay quiet and out of sight. I promised him I'd keep you safe no matter what. Got it?", Dwight orders in a hushed tone, looking back at you.

You nod in understanding.

"I need to hear you say it before we walk out this door.", his piercing blue eyes scan yours thoroughly.

"Yeah I got it.", you rush out, growing antsier.

He gives you one last once over, making sure you've collected yourself enough to maintain your composure out there. He opens the door gruelingly slow in an attempt to minimize the squeal of the heavy steel door. You follow closely behind him. Every person in the compound is gathered here. You crane your neck trying to catch a glimpse of the main event through the sea of bodies in the way. Eventually, you find a space between the heads and see Negan. Your heart rate calms seeing him alive.

"-but the Sanctuary must stand.", Simon's voice echoes through the silent room, filling your ears which have finally regained hearing after your body backed slightly off of panic mode.

Negan's eyes follow Simon as he walks in the circle that had formed around them. His face is unreadable, a cold, blank expression has fallen over him

"This is not the man to prosecute this conflict.", Simon points back at Negan as he talks to the crowd.

The tension grows thicker by the second and you can feel yourself getting jumpy.

"He hasn't been present. He ran off into the woods with that skank that should've died the day she killed Dean.", you watch Negan's jaw lock upon hearing those words.

Your teeth find the inside of your cheek, biting down hard, in an attempt to relieve some of the pressure growing in your chest.

"He's not the leader he used to be. Definitely not the leader you all deserve. Someone needs to take charge. I can be the leader this place needs.", Simon ends his spill facing Negan, taunting him.

Your breathing becomes shakier as the moments drag on. Your eyes lock onto Negan as if you stare hard enough he'll just stay like that, untouched. Simon turns back around and holds his hands up.

"I just want to say-", before anyone can react, he whips around and connects a hard blow to Negan's face.

You immediately take a step forward, wanting to come to his aid but Dwight grabs your arm. Negan falls to the ground on the sudden impact. He attempts to get up but Simon hits him once more, sending him back into the floor. You watch in horror as Simon pulls him to his feet just to hit him again. Tears well in your eyes. Dwight keeps a firm grip on your arm preventing you from getting in the middle of it.
Negan gets to his feet and backs away. Simon charges and Negan finally lays a hard blow to his jaw. Simon tries to grab hold of his throat but he jerks out of it and proceeds to hit Simon three times. You finally catch your breath seeing him fight back. They exchange a few hits and get wrapped up, trying to take control of the other. Negan bashes his head into Simon's, disorienting him. He takes this opportunity to throw him into the floor, stomping his chest a few times. You physically shudder at each sound of the hits connecting.