18. promise on the Styx

Percy's POV:

I could still feel it.

Drowning.

Even if I could breathe underwater, it was like I had to remind my lungs to do it. Cause if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to.

It felt like being squished by a million hands, pushing me into a little box.

Inside of that box was water, thick and consuming. Filling my lungs and clogging my air ways.

For a second I stopped.

Wondering what would happen if I did.

What would happen if I let it.

It was a constant, reoccurring thought everytime I was close to that feeling, everytime I was underwater.

Then of course Annebeth was on the back of my closed eyelids, a happy reminder of what I was living for.

I was a monster, maybe. But one that had a reason —a person, to live for.

A family, to live for.

So I clawed my way back up like I did out of Tartarus itself.

And now, I was angry.

A fueled anger I've felt many times before.

This time, like many times before, because of friends. Friends I had learnt about, trusted and cared for. Slightly.

I could easily, easily, punish them. Make them hurt and beg for mercy. So easily.

Just a tilt of the head or a flick of the wrist and they were all under my control.

I couldn't though, no. As much as I thirsted for that feeling again, the feeling of power.

So I went for Annebeth. If they'd done that to me, it made me sick about what they might of done to her. When I found out, that would be the deciding factor between life and death for a pack of pathetic mutts.

Satisfaction from the world's smallest needle was pricked into my poisoned heart when I destroyed the door, taking it right of the metal hinges.

Lydia and Malia were standing in the middle of the kitchen, one with elongated teeth and cat like claws, the other holding a simple kitchen knife.

"Hey Percy, it's just us. Lydia and Malia." Lydia said in a soothing voice, holding one hand out like I was some deranged dog.

Maybe I did look a bit scarier to other people, especially now. Eyes narrowed, teeth bared and hands splayed open above the ground, but that's only what I knew I looked like. I have no idea what they're seeing right now.

Not a God, no. Maybe a titan. Definetly a monster. I'm blind to our others see me really.

"Out of my way." Was all I said, it was there one chance, then I was going to Annebeth.

"Percy, you need to come down. Take a seat, we'll bring her to you when the boys get back." Malia growled, her shoulders tensing.

"I'm good."

I felt the familiar feeling of something twisting in my gut, and everything came into focus. The water molecules in the air contrasted from the world, and I could just see.

I could see the very sweat running down the side of Lydia's face, the thin layer of water over Malia's eyes, and most of all, I could see their blood. Pumping through their veins like the liquid in a glowstick, shining through their skin.

And I did more then just looked at it, I controlled it.

Malia was on the ground in seconds, writhering and screaming bloody murder. I let Lydia watch, —forced her really.

"Stop!" Stiles was punching me, shoving his fist into my face hard enough to hear a crack.

Scott came next, pulling my arms behind my back and locking them into place feebly, "let her go!"

Yet Malia still screamed and Lydia made no movement.

Liam was at their sides, trying to hold malia still and shake Lydia into action at the same time.

Stiles looked on the verge of a panic attack, changing his tactic to punch me in the gut with tears in his eyes, "Stop, please. Come on! You fucking monster."

Empty laughter escaped my muddy lips, showing off my too-sharp teeth. A small trickle of blood dropped into my mouth, spilling from my nose, which really stopped me in my tracks.

My hand came out from Scott's gripp and rose to my now, catching the still dropping blood.

"No, no nononono." I wiped it off, yet more fell, so I ripped the sleeve off my shirt and pressed it to my nose, stopping the flow for now.

"What are you?" Lydia gasped, holding her throat. I don't think she got to breathe for a few minutes.

"He's not human. Fucking monster, yes. Just, what kind?" Stiles tilted his head, fists still raised.

Chuckling, I stepped past him, shoving my shoulder into his arm, "I'm human, more then some of you here anyway. Just better."

I made my way to the kitchen, ignoring the people calling my name but noticeably not following me.

Annebeth was sitting with her back against the bottom draws, a plastic cup by her feet.

"Annebeth?" I kneeled beside her, cupping her cheeks gently.

There was a pulse, still strong but she didn't make any movements. She looked like Lydia only minutes earlier.

"She's just asleep." Lydia informed me, standing back.

"Asleep ... you drugged her?"

"Only for a few hours, she'll be awake soon, promise." Lydia answered.

"Promise on the river Styx?" Simmering rage was threatening to boil over again, this whole night was just another trip down memory lane.

Lydia sounded uncertain, like mkst would be by the choice of words. "What?"

"Do you promise, on the river Styx?"

"Sure yeah."

"Then say it." I said, growling almost.

"I promise Annebeth will wake up soon, on the river Styx." Thunder boomed outside and I smirked dangerously.

If she broke that promise, then ... who knows really.

Turning away from her, I scooped Annebeth back into my arms and made my way to the door.

I stopped there though, to look at Lydia once more, "and I swear, on the river Styx, if you do something like this again —any of you— I won't hesitate to make you wish I killed you right here."

Then something twisted in my gut and Lydia was shoved into the cabinets behind her with a loud thump. She slid to the floor, winded and gasping.

I chose not to smile as I left, looking each of them, Scott, Stiles, Malia and Liam, in the eyes while also letting some of my auror be extended so they felt a small part of my power too.

Something no mortal should ever get to feel.

————

Luckily for Lydia, Annebeth did wake up before the sun, a story of her own to tell me.

The girls had tricked her, told her the boys were going outside for a bit so they may aswell get a snack. The cup she drank from must of had something in it which forced her to lose consciousness.

When she finished I told her mine.

And as I reached the part about controlling blood I realised just what I had done. I'd blood bended, exactly how I promised I wouldn't.

"It's fine Percy, you were stressed and worried and thinking of the past again. It's not like you tried to kill them this time." She joked, but I wasn't laughing.

"I thought about it." I confessed, wiping under my nose.

"It was just a thought, you didn't actually do it. So it doesn't matter."

"Yeah." Maybe.