26. Gut feeling

Scott's POV:

I realized as I ran through the streats, that I've never been to Percy's house or ever been told where it is.

And maybe appearing at their front door, struggling to breath and using their weirdly strong scents to find them is going to look fairly suspicious.

Then again I really didn't have time to think of an excuse. Besides, Percy and Annebeth probably aren't even home, instead out murdering another child for no reason other then they're  psychopaths.

The front door of their apartment was a dark blue with a rusted hand sitting a little to low. The usual smell of the ocean and storms swirled through the door, strong enough that I could see it, but there were other smells too.

New smells.

The smell of decay, of fresh bones and sunlight shinning over strawberry fields, and I didn't understand it.

With a deep shaky breath, I raised my fist to the peeling paint and knocked twice.

It was Annebeth who opened the door, looking at me confused, "Scott?"

It was also then when I realised I had no idea what to say or do.

"Hey Annebeth, I just ... came to talk." I tried to hide my cringe as I rubbed the back of my neck nervously—something I picked up from stiles.

"Who is it?" Another voice called out before Percy appeared above Annebeth. He took one look at me before his face fell into a scowl. "What?"

I wanted to step away from the intensity of Percy's glare, maybe find a hole to live under for a while if it meant not seeing it, but I stayed where I was, smiling nervously.

"He wants to talk, perce. You said you used to hang out with him and his group all the time last year, it'll be like that." Annebeth offered, putting her hand on his wrist.

Stiffly, Percy nodded, not taking his sea-green eyes off of me. "Come on in. We're having pancakes."

They opened the door wider and I made my way in to the kitchen where a stack of bright blue pancakes sat, a few half eaten ones on the plates.

Two boys sat around the island, munching quietly as they looked me up and down. One with black hair, grey eyes and a pale complexion while the other looked like he was from Hawaii. Tanned skin, blonde hair, blue eyes and thongs on his feet.

"This is Will and Nico. They were stopping by to say hi." Percy supplied with forced casualness, waving a hand at each one.

Will smiled broadly, showing off his teeth, "Hey there."

Nico only nodded, frowning slightly.

"I'm scott." I offered after a beat.

Silence ensued, I chewed on the inside of my cheek fisting my hands while I thought of something today.

"Are you here for a reason?" Annebeth asked, picking up a pancake.

"Just wanted to talk. It's been a while." I replied weakly, my eyes flitting over each one of them. My nose was clogged from their overwhelming aroma's, fogging up my brain.

"How's Allison? I haven't seen her in a while. Did she move again?" Percy chewed on his blue pancake as he spoke, showing off the food in his mouth. I looked up to his forhead, not even wanting to look in the eyes daring me to mention it.

As I said, my brain was foggy and I wasn't thinking properly anymore. So I only had lousy answers, "have you guys been here since school ended?"

The blonde kid raised an eyebrow, looking to his pale friend, pulling his lips back into a barely grimace. You could see it in how their eyes searched the others, a silent conversation being shared.

"We have," Annebeth finally said, and I turned to look at her. "These two arrived about fifteen minutes ago."

So they would've had ten minutes before that to kill the boy. Less depending how long it took them to get home, probably didn't need to wash off any blood either. Percy could've just looked at the poor kid with his red eyes and the boy would be a goner.

Wait, how long ago did school end?

I searched the room for a clock until I found a slightly cracked one above the fridge.

It's been half an hour, "are you sure?"

Will looked at the clock too, "we've been here for nearly half an hour. Your school finishes at two thirty right? We got here at, what, three?"

"So a little longer then fifteen minutes, but close enough." Percy concured, dropping two more pancakes on his place.

My head was spinning a bit, it was all rather confusing and I had no idea what to do.

Then I heard the sirens outside, getting louder by the second.

"What did you do fishboy?" Nico said, looking at Percy. His voice was young, yet he sounded older.

What did Percy do, that was the big question. How many people—children— has he killed?

"Their not for me. Probably just a robbery nearby or something." Percy suggested, shrugging his shoulders.

But the sirens had gotten louder to the point where they were just outside.

I walked to the window and sure enough, sheriffs stilinski and all his fellow deputies were charging into the building, guns drawn.

"They're here for someone in the building." I noted to the others, except I knew who.

Because Stiles was stepping out of a car, Malia coming out the otherside too. He looked up to me, meeting my line of sight in the middle and nodding.

For what, I didn't know. I could guess.

I had a pretty good guess too, dancing at the very front of my mind on display and in the centre of complete nothingness.

They were here for Percy, to lock him up and stop the murders around town.

The corners of my lips tugged upwards, and I nodded in response to him.

Behind me, the four people were starting to get anxious, talking about what to do. What was happening.

"Hands up!" Parrish called, aiming his gun directly at the main suspect. Heat radiated off his body in waves, his eyes glowing softly enough that no one should notice.

Stiles father aimed his gun at the blue eyed kid too, while the other deputies pointed at the others.

"You are under arrest for suspected murder." Stilinski accused, he lowered one hand to his belt and grabbed a pair of hand cuffs. "Stand against the table. Keep your hands in the air."

We'd caught him. The killer.

But why was my gut telling me we'd gotten the wrong person? That this was all a mistake.