Bear attack

Two months later.

"We sadly report that John -best bear hunter in the town has been killed by a bear." Pictures show that huge claw marks were on john's back. "His dog had not been found at the scene. There were also other paw prints besides his dog, but we were unable to find out whose they belong to. We can only hope that the wildlife wardens can kill the bear before it causes anymore damage."

The TV had been turned off leaving oswald confused pawing at the screen.

"Don't worry oswald." said eda scratching his ears. "We'll kill those bears with my new hunting bow. Don't worry!" Oswald wagged his tail. "Bark woof Bark!" Eda smiled at him.

"Witchlet." said Dell in a stern voice, "Don't ever go to the mountains, got it?" he said walking away back into the kitchen.

But I want to help!

"Edalyn! Listen to your father!" Gwendolyn shouted from the kitchen.
______

"No one understands me Oswald! Just because I bought this bow at the hunting store, Dad won't let me go anywhere at all!" Eda pouted in slight annoyance. Oswald was sitting next to her content as any loyal partner would be sitting next to their friend.

Eda got up, "Oswald" she said with firm determination in her voice, "We're gonna train...I want to be the best hunter like my father was!, "But we can't go to the mountains...we'll ask the new hunter manny to train us!" She said with her normal cheer. "Let's go to his house, Oswald!" The pair began to run over to his house.

__________________

A while later...

"Hey.....this is the path to manny's house, right?" said eda with some slight worry in her voice. She and Oswald had taken the road to manny's house, but had lost their way in the forest between the two towns. Oswald looked around, taking in all of the new scents that came near his nose.

Suddenly, eda halted. "hide, quick!" She pulled Oswald into a bush. The two peeked out of a small hole. What they saw was a juvenile bear cub playing with its sibling. Her breath got caught in her throat, "That...is not good. If there are cubs nearby, then there must be..."

"GRRRRRRRRR!" a loud grumble filled the forest. "...A mother bear." She finished with fear in her voice.

Oswald looked up to see a female bear glaring at them in anger. "RUN!" yelled eda as they jumped out of the bush before it was trampled. The bear snarled at them. "We weren't trying to hurt your cubs, miss! We were-!" The bear roared, not happy with eda's excuse. She trembled in fear, unable to move. Her bow had been thrown away near a stump.

Oswald snarled at the bear, moving in front of eda, as if to protect her.

"Oswald, you can't! You're only-!" Eda had no time to finish her sentence before Oswald leapt ,clawed and bit the bear on her snout. The she-bear flailed, trying to knock him off of her. She clawed at him, but she had jumped back onto the ground. The bear was starting to run after Oswald , angry that the lupus wolf had bitten her.

Oswald dodged every attack that the bear tried to land on him. Soon, the bear had cornered him against a rock wall. "Oh crap, this isn't good." He muttered.

Oswald tried to run, but the bear blocked his every attempt to flee. The distance between them had decreased until the bear was practically on top of him. Oswald tried to bite the bear's shoulder, but the bear lifted her left paw and slammed it down, leaving four deep claw wounds on Oswald's back. He fell to the ground in pain.

He gotten to his feet. "Oh you're gonna get it now!" He yelled at the bear and grabbed the bear's left leg and managed to trip her, making her fall to the ground. The bear got to her feet, then... "Leave him alone, stupid bear!" Eda's voice rang through the air.

A flaming arrow shot through the air, hitting the bear in her eye, causing the bear to roar in pain. Eda loaded another arrow in the bow and fired again, shooting the bear in the head, killing her. The bear fell to the ground burning in flames.

Worried, edalyn ran over to Oswald and saw his back, "Oswald.....what horrible wounds you got there." She hugged him close to her and then looked back at the bear's body, "Wow...I can't believe it. We killed that bear...on our own!" She had a small smile on her face. "Oswald , let's go tell Dad." The two began to make their way back home.

________________

Two hours later.

"I told not to go near the mountains! Can't you ever listen!" screamed Dell in anger.

"But Dad, listen-!"

"You disobedient child...go to your room. Now." he said turning away.

"But Dad, we weren't anywhere near the mountains! We took the path to the next town!" Eda tried to say, but it was clear her father would not listen. "Dad...I hate you!" She ran up to her room crying, Oswald immediately followed behind.

"Dear, that was too harsh on her. You shouldn't have said that to her." said Gwendolyn.

"I know, but our daughter ...I can't have her go down the same path as me. SHe'll be killed!" Dell said. "I lost my eye to a bear once and you told me to retire before I gotten myself killed."

______________

Later that night Dell apologizes to Eda before going to bed and she forgives him and admits she was reckless for going out without permission ....or a hunting license.

There was a storm coming. Oswald could see this clearly from his perch on top of the clawthorne house, and the further he looked to the west, the blacker and more foreboding the sky got, and he wondered how long the rain would last this time. Down below, on ground level, he saw some of his pack playing and horsing around, not yet realizing that their idyllic day wouldn't be lasting much longer. But he couldn't blame them. They were just common soldiers after all, and didn't have the stress and responsibility that he and the other high-ranking wolves of did. Not that they had had much stress to worry about lately....except human poachers.

Notes:

Why did I have eda kill a bear? Because why not.