Chapter 1: Moving Day (Part 3)

The five-hour drive flew by, thanks to Pete's epic road trip playlist

The five-hour drive flew by, thanks to Pete's epic road trip playlist. Ryan didn't have time to wallow on how things had ended with Jacky as they sang along with "Convoy" – "We gonna roll this truckin' convoy 'cross the USA!" – moved through John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Road" and America's "Ventura Highway", then hit the 80s with Springsteen and "Born to Run." Soon Ryan and Pete were belting "Take It Easy" and "Ramblin' Man," and then they were at the end of the Mass Pike and had to turn off the music in order to properly navigate the streets of Somerville.

They squeezed into a parallel parking spot near the three-decker apartment building the GPS told them was their final destination. "Should we bring up some of our stuff?" Pete asked, shouldering his backpack.

"Uh." Ryan squinted up. "Let's go up and talk to them first."

"Oh god," Pete said. "What if they're awful?"

Ryan punched his arm. "You'll have me." Then he had a thought. "Wait, let's text them."

Sam, the one he'd been emailing and texting about all the details, texted back immediately. We'll be right down to help you with your stuff!

"They're gonna help us carry stuff in," Ryan told Pete.

"Cool." Pete pulled the trunk open and started unloading onto the sidewalk. Ryan stood guard, since there were a lot of people on the sidewalks. He'd never lived in a big city, and he wasn't sure how safe it was.

The door to the apartment building banged open, and a girl in a flannel shirt stepped out. She had short brown hair shaved on one side, and a friendly round face. "Hey, are you Ryan?" she asked.

Behind her, two other girls came out. One looked gothy, with a pierced lip, black spiked hair, and winged eyeliner. The other had a light brown ponytail that matched her plain white t-shirt and the boy-cut jeans.

"Yeah?" Ryan asked.

The girl stuck out her hand. "I'm Sam."

Ryan managed to swallow down his surprise as he accepted Sam's firm handshake. "Cool."

Sam chuckled. She jerked a thumb at the goth one. "This is Harper," she said, then pointed to the tomboyish one. "And this is Jordan. And you're Pete, then?"

Ryan held his breath as Pete turned around.

"Oh shit," Pete said, and laughed. "Fuck, Ry, you didn't tell me they were girls."

Sam crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. Ryan swallowed and winced. He wasn't sure how he'd missed that in the Craigslist ad. Had they mentioned that they were all girls? He had practically memorized the ad.

Looking for two roommates to split the rent on a sublet in Somerville. Close to the Red Line. Apartment has four rooms, two already occupied by three roommates. We're clean, share chores, all work and go to school pre-Med at Tufts. Both rooms are furnished with bed, dresser, and desk. If interested, please send a coherent, grammatically correct email. Applicants with a car who are willing to drive our asses around will have a very good chance!