Chapter 7: Movie Night (Part 2)

A cold sensation on Ryan's neck woke him up

A cold sensation on Ryan's neck woke him up. He jerked upright, blinking as he realized he was still sitting in front of the television watching Titanic. A blanket was draped over his lap, with Jordan's feet crossed on his lap. Charlie was next to him, with Harper's head on their shoulder. Sam was in the armchair with a textbook open on her lap, but she was watching the screen, where Jack was drawing Rose like one of his French girls.

Ryan half-turned to see Van behind him, holding out a can of Mountain Dew. "Thought you might be thirsty," Van purred in a way that made Ryan feel dirty.

But Ryan was thirsty, so he said, "Thanks," and took the soda.

Van prowled around the couch and pushed at Jordan's feet. "Move over," he said.

"Do you really have to sit right there?" Jordan complained, but curled up into the corner of the couch. When Van sat down, wedged between her and Ryan, Jordan sighed loudly. "Just keep it in your pants, okay? It's family movie time."

"Just wanted to get cozy with the new roommate." Van wiggled his shoulder against Ryan's.

Ryan shifted away as far as he could, which wasn't far since Charlie was right there. Charlie gave him an apologetic smile. "Just let us know if Van's being too much."

"Thanks," Ryan said, glad to know other people could see how predatory Van was being. The last time he felt this uncomfortable sitting next to someone was back after he'd come out to Lance, and Lance took that as a flirtation and was ready to give being gay a try. But Lance was a good guy, just not especially good at picking up on subtlety. Ryan imagined Van's attentions being similar to how a serial killer would pick out his victims.

"Ryan's a big boy," Van announced. "He can tell me to stop. Right, Ryan?"

If Ryan hadn't been so tired, he might have seen this as the moment he could stop Van in his tracks. He certainly saw it later. But at the moment, he wished he could just sit on the couch and watch a movie and feel at home. And he hoped if he didn't make any waves, that would happen soon, so he echoed, "Right," and leaned his head back, and didn't try very hard to stay awake. After all, he already knew the Titanic was going to sink.

 After all, he already knew the Titanic was going to sink