III

As soon as the bell rang, the teacher stood up and handed us all papers with a colored dot on them. I got green. I immediately realized that he planned to shuffle the seats in the order of the colored dot to the colored tag on each table. "Gosh, I hate this," I thought.

After passing out the papers, he proceeded to the front of the classroom and announced, "all right guys, you guys will now move your seats coordinating with the color on each table."

We all proceeded to move, shuffling and mumbling past each other. When we were all seated I thought to myself, "what's next? Ice breakers? Gosh, I absolutely hate those."

The teacher walked to the front of the class and spoke, "Hello everyone, for those who don't know me, I am Mr. Mickey and it is nice to meet you all. I know that you all won't like this, but I want everyone to get to know each other as you guys are in an academy and will spend the next three years of high school together... So we will be starting off easy with a light icebreaker. First, introduce yourself and what you did over the summer. As simple as that, you have 10 minutes."

The whole class proceeded after his speech and began "lightening" up the silence. The girl next to me spoke first, she introduced herself, "hi everyone! My name is Melanie and something that I did this summer was binge-watch 8 different Asian dramas!"

No comment on that.

After a moment of silence, she added, "what did you do?" While looking in my direction.

My eyes widened, completely thrown off by her, I stuttered saying, "o-oh, m-my name is Harry and I spent my summer playing competitive chess."

What is going on?

I didn't know what to say. I was so thrown off by the random initiative from that girl.

That was literally so embarrassing and all I knew was that I utterly hated it. Playing competitive chess? Really? People might think that I'm weird now. No, wait, chess is not something that I should be ashamed of. I love it. I don't care about what they think.

All those thoughts spun through my head. I feel heated

© All Rights Reserved