IX

The next morning, I walked into class with the intention of retrieving my knight back. I prepared an apology and an explanation about how I was wrong. However, before I was able to address the elephant in the room, she spoke first. "Did you finish the packet from yesterday?"

"No, I wasn't able to find time to complete it."

"Couldn't you have finished it in the morning, before class?"

Irritated.

Annoyed, I replied in a snobby tone, "No, I couldn't, why don't you try running around the football field at 6 in the morning?"

No response again. This time it was not my fault. She interrogated me and I absolutely despise it when people begin to question my incapabilities.

It's her fault.

The dreadful silence resurfaced. Unbearable.

I broke the silence and began talking to Morgan. "Your favorite subject is probably math right, Morgan?"

"Oh my god, how did you know?" Morgan curiously replied.

"I saw you take Ms. Li's math class last year," I answered.

The conversation about math continued. It felt so good to break the silence. However, no one else engaged. The girl was busy with her packet and Alle was on her phone. Talking to Morgan was not the same. When I talk to that girl, she almost lights up my mind. Her curiosity and caring mind was what I have been craving in this world of torture.

I constantly felt engaged and excited with her. Thinking about all this, Morgan became boring to talk to.

I wanted to break the level of ice between us but I also have my own dignity to defend. She was at fault so it would make sense for her to talk to me first. Just one word, or even sound and I would reply. Anything.

My heart, I can feel it. 

Dreadful

I never wished so hard for anything until now. I wanted to hear her voice and look at her. But she never gave me the chance. The air became suffocating and silence became the new norm.