IV

Just as silence fell upon the table again, a voice bounced the awkward air back, "competitive chess? Really? That's so cool! Do you play online or in person?"

I turned to that angelic voice, completely flustered. I felt a warm sensation shooting through my entire body as I locked eyes with that girl. Her eyes... were fixated on mine, not looking anywhere else. Only at me. Like little glowing Tahitian pearls, I was able to see my own reflection through it. Her innocent pique of interest showed no intimidation which contrasted with her direct attitude. Just for a moment, I felt like time stopped just for us. 

Almost like it was meant to be. 

At this point, my ears were burning as my brain sent a shock wave of coldness down my spine for homeostasis. I snapped back into reality and quickly replied with, "o-oh, t-thank you. I-I mainly play online competitions."

I immediately turned away. I couldn't look at her and quickly looked at the person sitting in front of me and said, "how about you?"

The person looked up from her phone and replied, "hi I am Alle and I went to kcon this summer."

"Really?!" An excited voice shot through my ears from my right. "Which groups did you see?"

The girl looked up from her phone again and replied in her monotone voice, "eighteen, circle, and oldest."

"Oh my gosh! You're literally so lucky! How were they in person?" The girl from my right persistently interrogated.

"They were all good," Alle replied.

"Oh, I went on Saturday, so I didn't get to see them." The girl from across from me intercepted. "Oh, by the way, I am Morgan."

I knew Morgan, she was in the same class as me for math last year. She and I were the only freshmen in a math class full of sophomores.

The ridiculous K-pop conversation continued on throughout the entirety of the time given. I genuinely see no point in these Korean artists. It's so obvious that they are being exploited for these vulnerable children to promote the Korean economy. It's disappointing to see how low society can stoop for capital gain. 

© All Rights Reserved