Book 1 : Chapter 1

Aiya

I was braiding my hair when I heard heard a knock on my door.

"Aiya, can I come in?" I heard my older sister's voice on the other side of the door.

"Yeah," I replied and the door opened.

Asami stepped inside of my room and laid down on my bed, her long black hair sprawling across my blanket.

"I am so stupid," She stated and I looked over at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Why? What happened?" I asked her.

"I kind of ran over this guy-" She began and my eyes widened.

"You ran over someone?!" I exclaimed in shock.

"Well, I didn't run over him. I hit him with my moped. It was his fault though. He ran in front of me without looking," She said.

"Is he okay?" I asked, getting worried.

"He's fine. I asked him out to dinner tomorrow. We're going to Kwong's Cuisine," She said, sitting up.

"So, you ran over a guy and then asked him out to dinner. And he agreed? Jeez, Asami. Only you would be able to do that," I said, smirking at her.

She rolled her eyes at me.

"Oh, and did I mention that he plays for the Fire Ferrets?" Asami added.

"He plays for the what now?!" I nearly fell out of my chair from shock.

"Is it Bolin or Mako?" I asked her.

"It's Mako," She replied.

"Oh, well I think Bolin is better," I said and she shot me a glare.

"Don't be mean, Aiya," She said, standing up to leave.

"I'm not mean, I'm just voicing my opinion," I said and she shook her head at me before leaving my room.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

The next day, I was busy taking care of my dad's employees when I heard three pairs of footsteps behind me.

"And this is my younger daughter, Aiya," I heard my dad's voice behind me.

I turned around to see Asami, my dad and, surprisingly, Mako, standing infront of me.

"Oh, hello," I said, awkwardly.

"Hello, I'm Mako, nice to meet you," Mako said, reaching out to shake my hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, too. You're a great bender," I told him and he smiled at my words.

"So, Mako, I understand you're dirt poor," My dad suddenly said.

My mouth dropped open at his words and Mako looked embarrassed.

"Young man, it is nothing to be ashamed of. I too came from humble beginnings. Why, when I was your age I was a mere shoe-shiner, and all I had to my name was an idea . . . the Sato Mobile. Now, I was fortunate enough to meet someone who believed in me and my work ethic. He gave me the money I needed to get my idea off the ground and I built the entire Future Industries empire from that one selfless loan," My dad said, looking around the factory proudly.

"Dad, stop bragging. Just tell Mako the good news," Asami said.

I frowned. What good news? Why was I never told anything?