Book 1 : Chapter 2

Korra

"It's been great having you at so many back-to-back practices, Korra," Mako said, after him, Bolin and I took a break from practicing.

"Feels good to be back, although Tarrlok isn't too happy about my leave of absence," I told them.

"Hey, you joined the Fire Ferrets before you joined his task force," Bolin said, crossing his arms.

"Okay, come on. Team huddle time," Mako said.

I put an arm around his and Bolin's shoulders and smiled at him.

He gave me an awkward smile before speaking.

"It's our first match of the tournament tonight. I know the three of us haven't been a team for very long, but even so, the Fire Ferrets have never been this good. Are we ready?" Mako said.

"We're ready!" Bolin and I both told him.

"Not quite. You'll need these." I spun around at the sound of Asami's voice.

I looked at her and then at the girl next to her. Aiya. The one that had been rude to me a few nights ago.

"Hey, Asami," Mako said, his lips lifting at the sight of her.

"Good morning, sweetie," Asami replied.

I put a hand on my hip and frowned at the sight of them. I then noticed Aiya looking at me with the same look she had given me at the gala.

I narrowed my eyes at her, but my brows rose when I saw Bolin running over to her.

"My favourite fan! I have missed you so much!" He exclaimed, giving her a hug.

My frown deepened. Since when were they friends?

I decided to walk over to the four of them to see our new uniforms.

"These new uniforms look great." Mako said, holding one up to show Bolin and I.

"They're amazing right? Aiya spent hours designing them," Asami said, grinning at her sister who simply nodded and smiled.

"Well, teammates, I'll see you before the match tonight. Asami and I have have lunch date," Mako said.

Aiya's smile dropped.

"You're going on a date? Why didn't you tell me, Asami?" She asked.

"I thought you would want to hang out with Bolin and Korra. Maybe you could learn something from them," Asami told her sister.

Without waiting for a reply, Asami and Mako walked out of the building, leaving the three of us alone.

"What did Asami mean by learning something from us?" Bolin asked Aiya, confused.

"Well, I'm a firebender and I was thinking that Mako could teach me some more tricks since I didn't have a firebending teacher," She replied.

"You can firebend?! That's awesome! Maybe Korra can help you. Right Korra?" Bolin asked, looking over at me.

"Uh, I have better things to do. I need to train with Tenzin," I said, picking up my bag to leave.

Bolin shot me a look but didn't say anything.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

Jinora, Ikki and I were busy picking baskets of fruit when Jinora began to speak.

"So, how's it going with the tall, dreamy firebender boy? You've been spending a lot of time together lately," Jinora said.

"Ooh, yeah. Tell us all about the magical romance!" Ikki exclaimed.

"What? Listen to you two! I'm- I'm not interested in Mako or any romantic stuff. Besides, he's all into that prissy, beautiful, elegant rich girl," I said, looking down at the ground before back up at the two sisters.