Book 1 : Chapter 8

Korra

"It is a glorious day my brothers and sisters. Amon has torn down the tyrannical bending government! He has declared bending illegal! And he has the Avatar on the run," Hiroshi shouted out to the crowd below.

Mako and I looked at eachother and then back at Hiroshi. The two of us left our hiding spot in the sewers to see what was happening in the city.

We were dressed as chi-blockers so we wouldn't be recognised.

"Our great leader has a vision for the future. One day soon, bending will no longer exist and we will live in a world where everyone is finally equal! The United Forces are on their way right now to try and stop that dream but we will prevail!"

Mako and I turned around and returned to our hiding spot beneath the city.

"Can you believe Hiroshi? 'The Avatar is on the run.' I'm not running away from anyone! Let's go back up there and knock some heads. They'll never know what hit them," I said.

"Relax. General Iroh is coming with an entire fleet of battleships. Then Amon will be the one who's running," Mako told me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I hate this being patient stuff," I said.

We made our way over to where Asami, Bolin and Aiya were and all three of them walked up to us.

"You two were gone a while," Asami said.

"We were doing reconnaissance," Mako replied.

"Whatever," She muttered before turning away from us.

I looked at the ground. I was starting to feel bad for what I had done since Asami was a good friend. Maybe I was a terrible person for kissing Mako.

"Welcome back! Hope you worked up an appetite, because dinner is served," Gommu said. I had met him when I first arrived in the city and he offered us a place to stay.

We all sat down on the ground and Gommu began to pour some kind of gruel into our bowls.

"Thanks so much for letting us hide out with you for the past few days," I said as he handed me the bowl.

"Honoured to oblige. My associates and I hardly oppose Amon's so-called 'Equalist' policies. We got benders and non-benders living together down here. But do you see us fighting? No, sir. We've figured out how to harmoniously co-exist," Gommu said.

"You are a wise and noble hobo. This is the best tasting street gruel I've ever had. Seriously," Bolin said as he ate a spoonful of the gruel.

"I culled it from the finest dumpster the city has to offer!" Gommu replied.

I then heard a choking sound and I turned my head to see Aiya spit out the gruel.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to my food.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

I was leaning against Naga when Mako sat down next to me. By now everyone was asleep and it was just the two of us that were awake.

"Can't sleep either?" He asked me.

"No, I have this awful pit in my stomach," I told him.

"Me too," He said.

"It's so crazy. A few months ago I was in the South Pole, practicing for my firebending test. And now I'm in the middle of an all-out war," I said, looking at him.

"I know. We didn't even know eachother then. And now, I can't imagine my life without you in it. You're the most loyal, brave, and selfless person I've ever known," Mako told me.