Book 1 : Chapter 9

◇ Aiya ◇

We snuck into the arena disguised as chi-blockers and went up to the balcony to get a better view of what was happening.

Amon appeared on the platform and the crowd below cheered him on.

"Thank you for joining me on this historic occasion. When I was a boy, a firebender struck down my entire family and left me scarred. That tragic event began my quest to equalise the world," Amon said.

"That's a lie, Amon!" Korra shouted and Amon's eyes snapped up to us.

We took off our masks as the audience turned their heads to look at us.

"Or should I call you Noatak?" Korra asked.

"Everyone, calm down. We have nothing to fear from the Avatar. Let's hear what she has to say," Amon said.

Korra looked at Mako and I and then back at the crowd.

"Amon has been lying to you. The spirits didn't give him the power to take people's bending away. He uses bloodbending to do it. Amon is a waterbender!" Korra pointed at Amon who simply shook his head.

The audience gasped and began to whisper to eachother.

"You're desperate, Avatar. Making up stories about me is a pathetic last resort," Amon said.

"Your family wasn't killed by a firebender. His father was Yakone, and his brother is Councilman Tarrlok," Korra continued.

Another series of gasps left the crowd below.

"An amusing tale. But I will show you the truth," Amon said.

He slowly took his mask off and revealed a scar that cut through half his face.

I frowned, feeling confused as I stared at the scar on his face.

"This is what a firebender did to me," Amon told the crowd.

"What? I'm telling you, he's a waterbender!" Korra shouted.

The Equalists yelled back at her with words I couldn't make out.

"They don't believe me. It didn't work," Korra mumbled.

"Uh, Avatar, I think it's time to go," I told her as I looked up at a few chi-blockers that were making our way towards us.

We began to move away when Amon's voice stopped us.

"I wouldn't leave yet, Avatar. You'll miss the main event."

We turned to see what he was talking about. The fog disappeared to reveal Tenzin and his children were tied to four poles on the platform.

My eyes widened in horror at the sight.

"No. They got away. We saw them get away," Korra said, her voice filled with worry and shock.

"Tonight, I rid the world of airbending forever," Amon declared.

"Amon, let them go!" Korra shouted.

"You're welcome to come down here and try to stop me," Amon said.

"He's trying to bait you," Mako said, grabbing her arm to prevent her from leaving.

"I don't care. We have to save them," Korra said, pulling away from Mako's grasp.

"The Avatar needs to be reminded of the power I possess." Amon began to walk over to the airbenders but Mako quickly sent a bolt of lightning at him.

Amon was thrown back and the three of us used our firebending to run across the wall and onto the platform.