Book 1 : Chapter 6

Korra

I was lying in my bed thinking of  Asami, Bolin and Mako when an idea came to my mind.

I stood up from my bed and walked over to my polar bear dog who was sleeping on the ground.

"Wake up, Naga. Let's go."

I opened the door and led her out into the corridor. As we walked past Aiya's room, the door opened.

"Avatar? What are you doing?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

I blinked at her in surprise. Why was she awake?

"I'm going to City Hall, I need to talk to Tarrlok," I told her, saying his name with distaste.

"I'm going with you," Aiya said.

"No, you're not," I told her.

"He locked Asami up. I need to give him a piece of my mind," She said.

I sighed. It was no use arguing with her.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

"Wait for me here, girl. Don't worry, I'll be alright," I told Naga who reluctantly stayed outside of City Hall.

Aiya and I walked up to the door and I kicked it open.

"Very dramatic, I like it," She said.

"Are you complimenting me. What happened to you, Sato?" I asked her as we walked down the corridor to Tarrlok's office.

"I guess I realised I'll have to deal with you for the next few months," Aiya replied.

I then kicked the door to Tarrlok's office open and the two of us stepped inside.

"We need to talk," I told Tarrlok who was sitting at his desk.

"Are any of the other council members here?" Tarrlok asked his assistant as we walked up to his desk.

"I believe everyone has gone home for the night," His assistant replied.

"Then you should do the same," Tarrlok said.

"Are you sure, sir?"

"Leave us," Tarrlok said.

He waited until his assistant left before turning back to us.

"You two obviously have something on your minds. Spit it out," Tarrlok spoke in a demanding tone.

"Don't you see? You're doing exactly what Amon says is wrong with benders. You're using your power to oppress and intimidate people," I said.

"And you don't?" He asked.

"Of course not!" I responded.

"Isn't that what you came here to do? Intimidate me into releasing your friends? See, that's what I admire about you, Korra. Your willingness to go to extremes in order to get what you want. It is a quality we both share," Tarrlok said.

I was about to reply when Aiya spoke for me.

"You and Korra are nothing alike. You're a man in power who is hurting innocent people," Aiya said.

"Look, I'll make you a deal. You fall in line and do what I say, and I'll release your friends," He told us.

"That's why you arrested them? To get to me?" I asked in disbelief.

"I need your answer," Tarrlok said.

"No, you might be able to manipulate Chief Saikhan into following you, but it won't work on me," I told him.