Chapter 5

Roman's P.O.V

Virgil nods in agreement. We look up at the sky and sit in silence. I'm watching a bird fly overhead when I feel something on my shoulder. I look to see that Virgil has fallen back asleep and is resting his head on me. I take a chance to look better at his face. He really is quite beautiful. That's just an observation of course. 

"Your Highness," someone says softly. It's Logan. He has a smirk on his face. "Admiring the view?" he asks. I roll my eyes but instead of answering I ask him if he needs anything. "It can wait," he says. "Are you sure being out in the open like this is wise?" he also asks. 

"What do you mean?" I ask. 

"It's just that you two seem close. Rumors may spread," he explains. 

"Look. He's a cool person and I like him but as a friend. We literally just met. How could anyone possibly think that we could be anything else," I explain in return.

"I suppose you're right," he says. "You should still be careful if the two of you continue to get closer. Even if you are just friends that won't stop the rumors," he adds. 

"I'll keep it in mind," I promise. He nods before leaving. I sit there for about an hour. Finally he begins to stir. I look at him and see him open his eyes. He lifts his head and covers his mouth to hide his yawn. 

"Sleep well?" I ask. He lowers his hand and looks at me, still a bit sleepy. I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from smiling like an idiot. He looks absolutely adorable. Again, that's just an observation. 

"I did. Have you been here the whole time?" he asks. 

"You fell asleep on me," I say in explanation. 

"I'm sorry," he says with a slightly red face.

"It's alright. I don't mind. I didn't have anything to do," I assure him. He gives me a shy smile. 

"Would you still like to head to the lake? We have time," I ask. 

"Can we?" he asks. 

"Of course. Let me get someone to find Logan and Patton. I'll have them meet us there. I need to have at least one of them with me when I leave the castle. Otherwise I'd have to take one of the knights," I explain. 

"I understand," he says. I stand up and then help him up. We make our way out of the garden towards the front of the castle. As we're walking I spot a servant walking towards us. 

"Excuse me. Could you find Logan and Patton for me? Have them meet me at Lake Marida," I tell her once I get her attention. 

"Yes Your Highness," she says before leaving.

We leave the castle and make our way to the lake. 

"May I ask you something?" I ask when we're over halfway there. 

"Go ahead," he says. 

"I noticed you don't have a servant. Why not?" I ask him. 

"There's no particular reason. I just never wanted one. I didn't have a friend among the servants like my brother. Eventually I became pretty independent. I still ask the castle servants for help when I need it but usually I do things on my own," he explains. 

"That makes sense," I say impressed. Most royals I've met in my life couldn't survive without their servants. 

"You're lucky," he says.  

"Why's that?" I wonder. 

"You have Patton and Logan. Despite being your advisor and servant they are also your friends," he explains. That's right. He said I was the first person to become his friend. "We're here," he says happily before I can respond.