Chapter 11

Roman's P.O.V

An hour before midnight I head to the lake. The crescent moon hangs overhead. I already told Logan where I'd be and what I'm doing. I also told Patton. He gave me a firework to set off should something happen and I need help. Knowing Virgil could be here soon I start setting up. I lay down a blanket before setting up the lanterns around it. With everything set up I pull out the ring. I really hope he says yes. I sit down on the blanket and wait after putting it in my pocket. 

"Wow," I hear Virgil say. I quickly stand up. "What's all this?" he asks with a small smile. 

"I wanted to spend time with you," I tell him. 

"We spent almost all day together," he says amused. 

"True. Just come here," I say as I hold out my hand. He smiles and takes my hand. I pull him closer and down onto the blanket.

We begin talking. We talk about a lot of things. 

"It's beautiful out here," he says after a moment of silence. 

"Not nearly as beautiful as you," I tell him as I grab his hand. He laughs happily and intertwines our fingers. I reach over and put my free hand on his cheek. He closes his eyes before leaning into my touch. 

"Truly beautiful," I say softly. He opens his eyes with a small smile. 

"You're not so bad yourself," he says and I laugh. 

"I love you," I say without thinking. He looks at me with surprise. I realize how easily it came out and how true that statement is. 

"You do?" he asks. 

"More than anything," I tell him. He bites his bottom lip to prevent himself from smiling too wide. After a moment he leans close and softly kisses my lips. I immediately kiss him back. He pulls back just a bit.

"I love you too by the way," he says with a small smile. I smile brightly before pulling him back into another kiss. He lets go of my hand to reach up and cup my face. He moves closer. I put my hand on his waist when he climbs onto my lap. I lift him up slightly and lay him down carefully. He giggles once he's on his back. Actually giggles. I pull back and smile at the sound. 

"You heard nothing," he tells me. 

"I'm never going to forget that sound," I tell him. He rolls his eyes but has a smile on his face. I pull back and help him sit up. Then I take a deep breath. 

"Virgil. You mean the world to me. I have to ask you something. Will you marry me?" I ask him. He smiles brightly. 

"Yes!" he says immediately. I pull out the ring and put it on his finger.

He looks at the ring on his finger. Then he leans forward and hugs me. I hug him back and hold him tightly. When we pull apart we lay down on the blanket and look at the sky. After a while we decide to head back to the castle and get some sleep. Tomorrow I'll go to my parents and they'll send word to Virgil's father to solidify our engagement. We reach the castle. I lead him to his chambers. 

"Goodnight Roman," he says with a small smile. 

"Goodnight Virgil," I say back. I kiss him softly and then pull back. He turns and heads into his chambers. I walk next door and go into mine.

The next morning I climb out of bed at the sound of a knock on my door. It opens and Patton walks inside.  

"Good Morning Roman," he says with a smile. 

"Morning Patton," I respond. 

"How did it go?" he asks. I smile happily. 

"He said yes," I tell him.