Dresses

"Princesses," One of the many maids entered the library, curtsying before us, "The king requests your presence in his study."

"Thank you," Fia replied, getting to her feet and following after the maid, the heavy skirts swishing as she walked.

I took a moment to put back the books, not wanting Maina to have to clean up the mess I had made. This would be it. Rasten was going to confirm what we already knew. One of us would be sold off to the princes.

Before I could anger my father too much I left the room. Thankfully his study wasn't too far from the library, but my movements were hindered by the tight corset and heavy skirts. I'd never understand the fashion of noble females. We were beasts underneath it all, eager for revenge, and when we got it we savored every moment.

I never got to take revenge against Rae, the male that I thought of as a friend. He took more than just my virginity that day. He took my sense of adventure, my love for bright colors and clothing that didn't hide my body. Even so many years later I was still hidden away in boring gray. The neckline that for most was square went all the way up my throat. Unfortunately my sudden modesty made some believe that Rae had claimed me before supposedly killing himself.

Very few know what actually happened. How he forced himself on me... the guards outside the library ignoring my screams for help. He left me there, covered in my own blood and his semen. My brother was his closest friend, but that didn't stop his lycan from taking over when he found out what happened. He dragged Rae into my room a few days later, letting me hear his spine crack when his neck was twisted too far, too fast.

"Look who finally decided to show up," Rasten's newest female sneered, the heavy jewels slung around her neck reminded me of the collars people put on their pets.

"Edwina," I purred, giving her a cool smile before seating myself on the couches. "I'm surprised Rasten doesn't have you waiting in his room for him."

Her eyes narrowed, but she stayed silent. Killian and Rasten hadn't even shown up yet, most likely my brother was still arguing with him. Fia was sitting on the other end of the couch, her ankles neatly crossed like a true lady. I was proud of my sister. She knew she had more opportunities than most and took them.

"Good, you're all here." The deep voice of my father rang out into the room, fear pricking against my skin. Familiar, bone chilling terror. "We have some things to discuss."

Killian came in behind him, his normal smile had disappeared. An angry slant to his lips and clenched jaw broadcasted that this would not be pleasant. I raised my chin, straightening my posture. My own version of a battle stance, a challenge. Just like in the years past when I would lounge with Fia and watch the soldiers practice. To prove to them and myself that I wouldn't cower in their presence. Not that all of them were bad, but it got harder and harder to tell who wouldn't hurt me.

"What is this about?" Fia asked.

Her tilted head is the perfect portrait of submission and confusion. I'd probably believe it if we hadn't grown up together. Just like my raised chin and stealed spine was all for show, so was her perfectly portrayed innocence. Innocence that had saved her from quite a few punishments from Rasten's hand. My brother's easy going smile and swagger was all for show too, hiding the effects the monster in front of us had. Az was the smartest of us all, escaping to his home in the mountains, though Rasten will most likely be calling him here. If he hasn't already.

"The princes," Rasten replied, getting comfortable in the plush chair behind his desk, "Will be arriving sooner than expected."

"How much sooner?" His newest female asked, leaning forward so her breasts were pushed up even farther.