To be with a Prince

"At least you look nice," Aslin attempted a bright smile, but it fell short.

"Hair down or up?" Fia asked, playing with too long strands of my blood red hair.

"Down," I twisted in the floor length dress, it shimmered with every small movement, clinging to my frame like a second skin.

"You don't want to show off your neck?" Aslin teased, "Give him a peak of what he will be biting into tonight?"

"It'll be cold enough in this dress," I reasoned, smoothing my hands over my waist.

"Fine," Fia sighed, allowing my hair to tumble down around my shoulders.

Normally I had my hair tied up or braided. Wearing it down was always a nuisance, with hair to your waist it was easy to sit on it or even get it caught on things. For the moment it would give me a bit of much needed warmth. A knock sounded on the door.

"Are you all decent?" My eldest brother called from the other side.

"Come in," I replied, crossing my arms over the deep neckline. So much skin was exposed...

"Are you ready?" Killian met my eyes, immediately scowling, "Is she trying to make you freeze?"

"Yes." I huffed, pulling more hair over my shoulders to try and hide my exposed flesh.

"Do you want-"

"I'll be fine," Sheer sleeves covered my arms, sparkling in the candlelight as I twisted away from the mirror, "Can we just get this over with?"

He was still scowling, "Fine. I saw Knox and wanted to warn you before you go out there."

"Warn me about what?" Fear knotted my insides, anxiety attempting to strangle me.

"His back is..." Killian trailed off, wincing, "Well it looks like someone whipped him."

"What?" I had forgotten the scars I had seen covering his back that night when he walked in on me getting information. Pieces started to fall into place, "Didn't that book say that males were severely punished when they forced themselves on a female? You don't think..."

"Oh goddess," Fia looked at me with wide, shocked eyes, "No. No. Don't go down that path, Maeve."

"But-" I cut myself off.

Arguing was useless. It didn't matter what I thought. This was going to happen whether I wanted it to or not. The best and only choice was to just let him do what he wanted and become as uninteresting as possible. Just give him what he wants, and he will leave me alone. Right?

"Thank you for the warning," I breathed out, "Shall we?"

We left the room quietly, my hands clutching tightly at the dress. The small stones pressed into my skin, threatening to break it. Our happy mood had disappeared completely, and we marched somberly towards the courtyard where nobles would be gathered. Az appeared out of his and Aslin's bedroom, quickly falling into step with us and slipping his hand into hers.

I trailed behind them, resisting the instinct to run. The beast that prowled beneath my skin was scratching at me, begging to be let out to protect me against whatever was causing this feeling. Like someone was sucking all the air from my lungs. Leaving just enough to survive and feel the fear that made it hard to keep stepping forward.

The cold seeped into my feet first, and then the cutting wind swept through the thin fabric of my dress as soon as we stepped outside. The crowd of gathered lords and ladies quickly came into view. A priestess stood on a raised platform, Knox already kneeling beside her. Rasten was off to the side, blue eyes scanning the crowd until they landed on us. His lips twitched in what may have been a smile.