Potentially Triggering

The dining hall was just as rowdy as I had thought it would be. Tittering nobles fawning over the few knights that had been invited. Musicians begin to play folk songs in the corner of the room. A large fire crackled and popped in the immense hearth.

My chest ached with every step deeper into the room. My beast snarled at every person that drifted too close. Instead of pushing away the warning bells that rang through my body I embraced them. Acknowledging the feeling of panic and meeting it with reason. Killian wouldn't leave my side tonight, and even if he did no one would be mindless enough to try something indecent in front of the king.

My brother led us to the king's table. It faced towards the rest of the tables, chairs only placed on one side so Rasten could survey his subjects. Always one to keep himself apart from those he deemed lesser than. Speaking of...

Rasten had placed Aldon and Izaak right next to him and his advisors. Edwina on his other side. Down near the end of the table was Knox, deemed unimportant by my father. Though he should count himself lucky for having escaped whatever dreadful conversation that was taking place. Most likely he was trying to boast about how amazing our country is, but not mentioning the forced bondings that continue to happen.

Killian pulled out the chair beside Knox for me, the male visibly stiffening when I sat. No one had noticed the low back of my dress thanks to the hunking mass of Azrael. My eldest brother took the seat beside me, helping calm the storm that swirled inside me.

"I see you've escaped Rasten." Killian commented, causing those fiery eyes to sweep past me and land on my brother.

"A remarkable thing." Knox replied, his eyes moving back to the nobles, "Is this how all of your feasts are held?"

"They are now," He frowned, brows furrowing together, "When my mother was still alive they were much more joyous. Instead of just nobles she would invite everyone. So many people would attend we had to open the courtyard."

"That sounds more like what we do." The dark male replied, horns glittering red with the reflections of the flames.

"How do you celebrate?" I asked, my confidence dwindling when those red eyes that met mine were full of so much disdain I almost choked.

"Depends on what we are celebrating." He grumbled back in that thick accent that had some of his words melding together.

"What is your favorite celebration then?" His scowl deepened, but he quickly covered it before my brother could see.

"In your language it would be called the fall of starlight." Every word that dripped from those scarred lips at me leaning closer, completely enraptured by him. "It is to celebrate those who have become bonded. Males take their female high into the sky and the female leaps off of them. Plummeting to the earth only for another one of her mates to catch her."

"Have you participated in that celebration?" I didn't realize the implication of my question until after the words had been spoken. He would think I was trying to find out if he was unbonded and in an effort to save myself I kept talking, "Or your brother?"

His eyes had widened in surprise, but as soon as I spoke of his brother they narrowed again. Killian snorted beside me, though I couldn't tear my eyes away long enough to see if he was laughing at me or not.

"No," Knox turned back to the nobles beginning to settle down into seats, "Neither of us have participated."

I was about to ask why it was his favorite when he hadn't been able to join when servants began to bring out the different dishes. Such great quantities of food that would be better spent given to those that can't afford it. Killian was scowling at the wealth being displayed, as if he didn't indulge himself as often as possible.