Heartless

My brother and Aldon had spent a few hours talking about my future with a Dradan prince. About the ceremony that was to be held tomorrow night when the moon was at its highest peak. Eventually they both left, deciding they should go inform Rasten about the choice we had made. I was still surprised he had left it to me to pick which prince.

"Are you not going with them?" I shifted uncomfortably, memories from the night before replaying over and over.

Had I licked the water droplets off his skin? Or did I only look at them?

"No need to," He relaxed against the couch, stretching out his long legs.

"We should probably talk about," I cleared my throat, fighting against the embarrassment heating my body, "About what happened last night."

"What about it?" He raised a brow, seemingly disinterested in the topic.

"I am sorry that you had to... take care of me like that. It won't happen again. I was exhausted from-'' I paused trying to find the words before finally settling on, "Visiting with my mother. I'm not usually able to go there so we snuck out."

"We?" His body was saying he didn't care who I was with, but those red eyes betrayed him, the fire growing hotter.

"One of my brother's guards," I shifted my feet, wincing at the sharp pain, "Anyway, thank you."

"For what?" He raised a brow, "I would have done that for anyone. You were shivering on the floor naked. I'm not heartless."

"Right..." I trailed off, "Should we try to get to know each other better?"

"Why?" He rolled to his feet, rolling his shoulders, "This is a bonding made to benefit our countries. After tomorrow we don't need to spend any time together."

I leaned back against the couch, my words thrown into my face. He strolled to the door unhurriedly leaving. When the door finally shut I groaned in annoyance, kicking off my shoes and curling my feet under me. I wasn't wrong though. I only needed to get through one night with him and we wouldn't really need to be with each other.

Just one night. One night that the thought of had my body melting and freezing and shaking with terror. Said trembling hands were pressed against my cheeks, cooling my heated skin with frozen fingertips. Goddess damn it.

Deep breaths weren't going to help me now. It didn't matter what I thought of him in my dreams. It didn't change the fact that being alone with a male usually reduced me to trembling fear. Though my brothers seemed to approve of him so surely that must count for something. Right? But still... now that it was really going to happen.

There was no backing out. Not now that Rasten will know. Maybe I should've taken my siblings up on their offer to run away.

No.

I had made my bed. Now came the time to lie in it. With Knox. Naked.

Aslin peeked her head into the room, "How did it go?"

"It was fine," I frowned, "I'm going to be bonded to Knox."

"Well..." Aslin stepped into the room, shutting the door behind her, "Not bonded, claimed."

"What are you talking about?" I shifted down the couch, giving her room to sit beside me.

"Bonds are only formed when you have a relationship with someone." She explained, her yellow dress poof around her, "You won't actually bond with him tomorrow."

"Oh..." I blinked, attempting to process.

"But you will be having sex," I whipped towards her, laughter peeling through the air, "First time?"