Rewritten

"He what?" Aslin squeaked, her blue eyes going comically wide, "Why? Are you going to let him?"

"It's what we were raised for," Fia replied, glaring at me briefly before turning back to the younger girl, "This will be good for our country. Our borders haven't been open to anyone aside from the occasional northerner. We need more people to help with our economy."

Aslin's eyes lit up with interest, "How so? What are you going to do to help draw more people to our country? Theorn and I have been coming up with some ideas to try and attract more people to our estate. Like the festival we had a few weeks ago, that definitely helped. Az just approved a grant for young families that move in as well."

"Really? That's amazing." Fia grinned, "Have you started rebuilding those old houses? I haven't visited in a while, but maybe I should so I can see the efforts you're making."

Her words hit me like a punch, knocking the air out of my lungs. My face stayed neutral as they continued to chatter excitedly about population growth and different ways to attract people to her town. I soak in the moment, enjoying the excitement on my sister's face. My brother's mate glowing with excitement over the possibilities.

"Let's go find our brothers before they do something drastic." I smiled at Aslin, the female that had not only won my brother's heart, but saved me from an attack just over a month ago.

"Are you scared?" The short female asked softly.

"I can't afford to be scared, Aslin." I gave her a reassuring smile, "This is what I was raised for, but please remember not to say anything about my past to them. The treaty could be in danger if they find out I am spoiled goods."

"Maeve!" Both of the females scolded, glowering at me like I had just suggested we start throwing babies.

"It's true," I mumbled, following them to the room my brothers' angry voices could be heard coming from.

"Don't let Az hear you say that," Aslin cautioned, "He is very overprotective of you. He would probably end up scolding you for hours."

Fia snorted, rolling her eyes, "Killian does the same thing. At least they care."

Aslin grinned, pulling open the door, "Sometimes Az cares too much. At least he is handsome."

"Damn right I am," Said annoying brother growls, pulling Aslin into his arms as soon as she stepped into the room.

"You both look lovely," Killian grinned, but it didn't reach his eyes, his brow still scrunched with concern.

"Thank you," I crossed my arms, attempting to hold myself together. After how rude I was to those servants earlier I doubted they would be willing to redo my makeup. "Any news about the princes?"

"Rasten was here earlier," Killian scowled, "Their ship was spotted just off the coast. They are probably docking now."

"Great." I choked the word out, struggling to breathe with the tightness of my corset and the sudden weight on my chest.

"Maeve." Killian clenched his fists, "Let me talk to Rasten maybe-"

"No," I cut him off, waving a hand to dismiss the idea, "This is literally what I was raised for. I can handle this."

"We have no idea what they are like." Azrael growled, his grip on his mate tightening, "What if they-"

"Enough," Fia snapped, "Maeve says she can handle it. We should probably go meet Rasten in the council room before the princes arrive."

"Fine," Az gritted out, Aslin's hand stroking gently up and down his arm.

"Let's go," Killian huffed, apparently intent on brooding just as much as Az was.