Stories

I listened to the tales of their adventures across the globe. They told me of battles with fierce sea creatures out for blood. Hunting for outlaws to get their bounty and being attacked by pirates. With every word my excitement grew, the need to do something, be someone, growing. I had sat on my hands and done nothing for years.
“Alright,” Entha clapped her hands together, “Get back to work.”
They all rolled their eyes, but did as she ordered. Entha watched them with a small grin, her happy eyes dimming when she looked at me.
“So,” She crossed her arms over her petite body, “What are you going to be doing?”
“With what?” I asked, turning away from her hazel eyes to look out at the rolling sea.
“When you get to Dradan.” I saw her grimace in the corner of my eye, “I hope you aren’t going to just sit and look pretty for Knox. I know in Lycra your females are only there to be bred and please their mates, but-”
“No.” I cut her off, gritting my teeth, “I made the choice to go to Dradan. To be mated and marked by a male I didn’t know so my people would have the chance for a brighter future. But that is where my duties end. I don’t-I don’t want to be weak and afraid anymore.”
“Good,” She grinned, “You wouldn’t be able to hold that male’s attention for long if you were meak. You need to get stronger first of all. Eat more.”
“I eat enough,” I crossed my arms defensively, my body rocking slightly with the movement of the ship. Wouldn’t it be better to be unnoticed by him?
“You can’t get stronger if you are not eating enough.” Entha replied, smirking slightly, “You need food to fuel your body.”
“Fine,” I huffed, “I will eat more if I remember.”
“You won’t have to remember,” She replied, eyes sparkling with mischief, “Dradan males have been raised to take care of their female. Whether by protecting them, feeding them, or any other way you can imagine. If he can, he will and he can feed you.”
“Okay.” I decided not to dwell on that, even if the pressure in my chest eased slightly. “What is your plan when we arrive?”
“We will be staying for a few months,” Entha grinned, “The princes were very generous when paying for this voyage. I’ll be able to afford any repairs necessary and relax for a while before we set off again.”
“Any ideas where you will be going next?” I asked.
“I’m thinking of the island of lost souls,” She replied, “Some say it is the entrance to Helin and the death god himself lives there.”
“Why would you want to go there?” I winced, “Are there a lot of gods? I only know of our goddess.”
“Dradan has lots of gods and goddesses.” Entha explained, “Besides, to meet a god would be an incredible thing, no?”
“Incredibly terrifying.” I muttered, glancing over my shoulder to see Knox approaching, the scales that covered his neck glimmering in the slowly rising sun.
“Come with me.” He ordered, “I will show you our quarters.”
“We will be sharing a room?” Fear raised the hair on the back of my neck, and I tried to fight back the instinctive reaction.
“Our crew takes up most of the space,” Entha shrugged, “The princes have their own rooms, but there are no more beds to give out.”
“Right,” I muttered, trailing after Knox to a stairwell. “Are you alright with having to share a bed with me again?”
“We are mates now,” Knox grumbled, pulling his cloak tighter around his broad shoulders, “It’s more unusual if we were not to share a bed. Don’t worry though, I am sure I will find some way to keep my hands to myself.”
I winced, but his back was to me. The words were spoken sarcastically, but left me wondering if I had been so undesirable last night. Had he actually enjoyed anything we did? Or was he just trying to get through it like I was?
My face flushed with embarrassment. Those burning red eyes flashing through my memories, the warmth that spread through my body when he touched me. Lighting me up from the inside. Had he been feeling as cornered as I was?
Knox turned towards a door, tugging it open. The small room was made up of only a bed, pushed up against the corner. There were no windows, and my luggage had been piled up at the foot of the bed. The only open space on the floor was about two feet next to the side of the bed that would let us walk in. The beast that prowled beneath my skin clawed to the surface, ready to protect against any dangers real or imagined.
“It’s so small,” I muttered, beginning to tap my fingers against my thigh, “Can you even fit on that bed?”
“I manage,” Knox huffed, “Do you have any questions? I know this is a lot for you.”
“I’m fine,” I paused, “Actually, I was wondering if you could teach me more about your people. Entha said that males are raised to take care of their female, and I was told you are very unusual because-”
“I don’t have another male to share you with?” Knox ground out, turning those dim eyes on me, “I am aware what others think of me, but it doesn’t matter. I have you now so I will no longer have my mother and fathers complaining that I need to join a different group.”
“I am sorry,” I clenched my fist, fighting the random urge to touch him, “I didn’t mean to offend you.”
“I’m sure Entha,” His eyes dimmed farther, unease making me shift nervously, “Will be able to answer any questions you have about us.”
“I suppose so,” My frown deepened, the difference between the male in front of me now and the male of last night was hard to reconcile.
“Do you wish you had chosen my brother instead?” He asked, turning fully to face me.
The bulk of him closing me into such a small space should have been terrifying. It really should have been, but I found myself being entranced by those flaming eyes. The heat that seemed to build inside me in response to him. My sex gave a painful throb of want.
“No,” I finally replied, my hand itching to touch his skin, “I am glad for the choice I made.”
“Good,” He growled, dipping his head towards me, “You still smell like me, Maeve. Do you know what-”
“I should go.” I blurted out, the suffacating fear twisting my insides with its sudden appearance, “I’m going to go see what Entha can tell me about your gods.”
I slipped away from him. Rushing up the stairs with my cheeks aflame.