Escapism

Greens outside the window glass pane sway with the airflow. Sunlight filled the whole space of the living room. It is a serene afternoon, Jungkook thought. Nonetheless, he was still empty. It was the other way around with what he was feeling. He looked at his left ring finger. Two shiny circuits were engulfed in it. They were nearly tintless, that are transparent, and free from excrescences. Those two were worthless but it carries one of the most significant events of his life.

He averted his eyes from the window and look back to the door behind him.  He read the sign hung on it.

"Ours..." with a heavy heart.

He couldn't help but think of his wife, Chaeyoung, and all the happy memories they shared. The memories flooded his mind as he remembered the times they cooked together, traveled to different places, and made love all night long.

One day she left him without saying a word. He had been left to wonder what went wrong in their relationship. He missed her so much and wished she would come back to him.

Jungkook thought of all the times he and Chaeyoung had spent together. He remembered their first date, where they had gone to a small restaurant and shared a plate of spaghetti. He remembered their trip to Hawaii, where they had spent long days lounging on the beach and exploring the island. He remembered the countless nights they had spent wrapped up in each other's arms, talking until the sun rose.

"I just don't know what I did wrong," Jungkook said, his voice breaking. "I thought everything was perfect."

Jungkook stood in front of the door for a few more minutes, thinking of all the moments he had shared with Chaeyoung. Eventually, he turned around and walked away, hoping that someday he would find the answers he was looking for, when...

__________

One day, Psychologist Mr. Kim Seokjin woke the young man.

"Jungkook, it's time for our session. How are you feeling today?" asked Mr. Kim Seokjin.

"I'm feeling alright, I guess," replied Jungkook. "Same dream again, standing in front of that door that says 'Ours'."

"I see," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "Tell me, who is Chaeyoung? Is she real?"

Jungkook looked down at his hands. "No, she's not real. I made her up. I wanted to escape from reality."

"I understand," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "But you must realize that your escapism is not a healthy coping mechanism. It's important to face your problems head-on."

"I know, but it's hard," said Jungkook. "I feel so alone sometimes."

"You're not alone, Jungkook," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "I'm here to help you. And there are people in your life who care about you."

Jungkook nodded. "I know. It's just hard to believe sometimes."

"That's why we're here," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "To work through these feelings and help you find a healthier way to cope. Are you willing to do the work?"

Jungkook took a deep breath. "Yes, I am. I want to get better."

"Great," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "We'll start by addressing your feelings of loneliness and finding ways to connect with others. And we'll continue to work on your escapism and find healthier ways to cope with your emotions."

Jungkook smiled. "Thank you, Mr. Kim Seokjin. I appreciate your help."

"Anytime, Jungkook," said Mr. Kim Seokjin. "We'll get through this together."

_________

Patient 011 Jungkook was sitting in the common room of Sulwasu Mental Hospital when he noticed a new patient walking in. She looked familiar to him, like someone he had seen before. As she approached him, Jungkook realized that she looked exactly like the Chaeyoung in his dreams.

"Hi, I'm Rosé," she said, extending her hand. "I'm new here."

Jungkook shook her hand and introduced himself. "Nice to meet you. I'm Jungkook."

As they began to talk, Jungkook learned that Rosé suffered from escapism addiction, just like him. She imagined a world where she was a successful musician, with a boyfriend named Jeongguk who looked just like Jungkook.

"I know it sounds crazy," Rosé said. "But it helps me cope with reality."

"I know what you mean," Jungkook said. "I have a similar problem. I imagine a wife named Chaeyoung, and I visit her in my dreams every night."

Rosé looked at Jungkook, surprised. "Chaeyoung? That's my middle name."

Jungkook's eyes widened. "Really? That's crazy."

As they talked, they realized that they had a lot in common. They both felt trapped in their own minds, and they both longed for a world where they could escape reality. But they also knew that this was not a healthy way to live.

As they continued to talk, they noticed that other patients were gathering in the common room. It was an anniversary occasion for their psychologist, Mr. Kim Seokjin's licensure. Everyone was celebrating, and they were all smiling and laughing.

For the first time, Jungkook and Rosé felt like they belonged. They were no longer alone in their struggle. They were surrounded by people who understood what they were going through and who were willing to help them.

As the night went on, Jungkook and Rosé laughed and talked with the other patients. They felt a sense of community that they had never experienced before. And even though they knew that their struggle was far from over, they felt a glimmer of hope that they could one day overcome their addiction to escapism.

"Thank you, Mr. Kim Seokjin," Jungkook said, as the party started to wind down. "For everything you've done for us."

Rosé nodded in agreement. "Yeah, thank you. I feel like I've found a family here."

Mr. Kim Seokjin smiled. "You're welcome. Remember, you're not alone in this. We'll get through this together."

_________

Thank you Mr. Kim Seokjin! (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)