Third Parallel: 1975

Note: Some parts of this chapter are drawn from real events. I have supported some of them by articles, but I decided to stop after inserting 10 images because I didn't want this chapter to resemble a gallery. Anyway, thank you to @Mariyaaaaa for sharing the articles. 😀

"The beautiful thing about young love is the truth in our hearts that it will last forever"
***

February 10, 1983- Thursday

My father's words keeps coming back to me and I am a wreck inside though I tried to hide it from him. I love him with all my heart, I really do. But there is no way, no possible way that I could exist without ever needing and loving Irene.

And as I wait for her at the steps of the palace, I know that she's about to tell me about the recent fiasco my father was in. He joined, yet again... another protest for Irene's father yesterday together with the rest of his group to call for the resignation of the president.

 another protest for Irene's father yesterday together with the rest of his group to call for the resignation of the president

'Sweetheart!'
"Hey.. you ready? Hatid kita sa school mo?"
'Wag na lang siguro? May mga press raw sa campus sabi ni Imee. Headline na yung sa protest kahapon, I do not want to add more fuel to the fire.'

Irene stayed in UK for almost a decade. She came back with the insistence from her father. If it were her way, she would have pursued her studies in anthropology there for four more years. But the president is adamant that all of his children are going study in UP, which I am very grateful. It ended Irene and I's long standing long distance relationship.

While I visited her a couple of times during her school breaks, it still feels different when I know that she's just here, half an hour away drive from where I am.

"Sweetheart, I don't care. Ang tagal na natin Irene, why are we still hiding? People knows about us already. They are still going to talk no matter what."
'No, it's not that. Nahihiya ako sa Papa mo. He invited me over for a Valentine's Party raw this weekend. I don't want to ruin that invitation, Greggy.'

I kiss her forehead because I don't know what else to do. Also, my heart is breaking for the possible pain that it will cause her once she learned of what my father told me.

"I love you."
'I love you too'

She's beaming with happiness and pride every time she would say those words. I do not have to think twice because it's given already.

I am one lucky bastard.

***
February 13, 1983- Sunday

Father's hosting this Valentine's party for this year with the theme "Great Lovers of the World". And as expected, like any of the previous parties he hosted, everything must be over the top.

He specifically instructed that everyone must come dressed as their chosen character. I'm coming as an Arab Sheik because what the heck do I know about themes like this? Also, Irene said that she will be coming as Han Suyin. Now who the hell is she?