Fifth Parallel: Con Te Partirò

"But what if I can't find my way back"
"Then I was never home for you." (L. lewis)

GREGGY'S POV

'I hate you, Greggy. I hate you! But no, hate is such a lame word for how I am feeling right now. I despise you. I never should have married you! How can you live with yourself? You are a monster! Stay the hell away from me. I would rather die than share the same air with that woman. Rot in hell!'

The look on Irene's face when she said those words... the pain she felt and the anger I gave her. That can't be the last thing on her memory. You have to fight, love. Just survive and live through this, and I promise I will make things right.

I am pacing the lobby of the hospital as I wait for the updates from the doctors currently attending to Irene. Her car was run over by a delivery truck, barely five minutes after I left her. I never should have. I should have stayed. Maybe she wouldn't be inside the operating room, and I wouldn't be waiting here outside anticipating the worse.

I have not prayed for the longest time. I don't know if God will take some time to listen. But please, spare her. Don't take my son's mother. She's the sweetest daughter and the most thoughtful sister.
She's the best wife. And I destroyed her.

Greggy's POV

Six years ago

Irene and I are living our best life together. Irene stopped teaching for music lessons because I asked her to, I just wanted to be coming home with her waiting for me. The kids just went to high school, with Alfonso a year ahead of Luis. The company is doing well, but something's changed somehow. Realization of that came when I attended this out of town training for company's senior management in Cebu.

It was never my plan to go, but I am seriously eyeing in building this solar farm plant in the city's suburb area. It was a 3-day training, and I can tell that this hotel staff was in deep flirting with me. I have never cheated on Irene in our sixteen years marriage. But this feeling is so raw and new that I can't help but entertain the idea. So, I did. It was casual, nothing serious and this too shall pass.

The first time it happened, I was waiting for some waves of guilt as I went back home to my wife. But it never came. That one time thing in Cebu lead to another, this time somewhere else. All were casual hook ups. One night stand, nothing more. For a while, I thought Irene would never find out. But she did. And it was ugly.

I came home one night, it was around three years since I started sleeping with another woman besides my wife. The kids are already sleeping, and the house is quiet as I expected it to be. I also expected Irene to be asleep by then. But she's not. Her eyes are red from crying and she's pacing back and forth inside our room. My heart dropped seeing her knowing that something bad had happened.

"Love? Bakit gising ka pa? Are you okay?"

I was about to hold her when she slapped me, hard. What the actual fuck.

"Irene! Anong problema mo? Why would you do that?" I was so enraged with what just happened.

'Ikaw! Ikaw ang problema ko!'
"What is wrong with you? Anong ginawa ko?"

'Anong ginawa mo? You tell me, Greggy. What were you doing for the last three years, ha? Anong akala mo, hindi ko alam? I chose to keep quiet! I chose to act stupid! Because I love you! Not only you, para rin sa mga bata, I really thought this will soon go away. Anong ginawa mo? Bakit mo ikinuha ng condo yang bagong flavor of the month mo?'

Fuck. Irene knew. From the start. From three years back and she's not saying anything! How come I didn't notice! Shit.

"Irene, I can explain"
'Explain? Tatlong taon, Greggy. Every Tuesday for the last three years, wala ka! You can explain? You think I still need your explanation?'