Seventh Parallel: Thank you, Sir

"Your goodbye was silent, yet I hear it everyday in every room you are absent from." - Edward Lee

***
IRENE's POV:

Ever wonder what it feels like to be rich? To be able to do the things you wanted to do without having second thoughts if you could afford it. To do grocery shopping without having to look at the price tags, to take all that you like whether you need it or not.

Because I do.

I grew up from one foster home to another. My mother's incapable of looking after me and I do not know who the hell is my father. I grew up without the guidance of any parent, but surprisingly, I was able to get by.

It's so hard that I lost count how many times I thought of ending my life. What difference would it make anyway? No one is going to look for me. It would be no one's loss for I am nobody.

Nobody until he found me. He made me feel like I am valid and appreciated and that I actually matter. But of all the people who could make me feel that way, why does it have to be someone who can never be mine?

I am an escort, so to speak. He's my client.
He is my boss while I am his whore.

The rules are simple:
Stay unknown, don't ask personal questions
No kissing on the lips- this used to be so easy.
No sharing of bed after the booking hours ended
And don't fall in love.

Of all the rule's I've broken in my life, not falling for him is the hardest I have to live with.

Because for the first time, I found my home.

***Nobody wanted to find themselves in a situation similar as mine

***
Nobody wanted to find themselves in a situation similar as mine. Who would be proud and happy enough to be selling their bodies? No one.

I never imagined seeing myself doing this, with all honesty. But law school is so damn expensive!
With the rare luck life has given me, I scored scholarships for my studies. But even if I tripled my efforts to work part time on all of my free time, even during school days, the expenses that I am incurring now at law school is something I can no longer afford to pay.

Just for the books alone.. and even if I opted out from buying, I needed to have extra money for photocopies. Those case digest, and those expensive codals! They are all too much from the little amount of what I earn from my part time jobs.

I'm living in a tiny room near Diliman. There are students like me also who's occupying parts of the apartment. We are sharing one common bathroom and to find peace and silence is a luxury.

You can't just leave your things around. Toothpaste, shampoo.. whatever anyone can use, it'll be gone before you know it.

And I hate it! I'm just so tired of this freaking rat race. The only reason why I am adamant to get out of poverty, to be able to have a decent life, to eat peacefully for lunch without having to fear for dinner time, to just breathe even for a while.. is my Nanay Sita.