Eighth Parallel: Thank You, Sir (Part II)

"Huling hirit
Di ko alam kung bakit
At paano mo napapawi ang kalungkutan ko

Abot langit
Ligayang dulot mo
Ngiti ang tanging dala sa mga labing ito
Di ka pa man lang kumikibo, ayos na

May mahika ka pang dala-dala
Sa piling mo
Bumabagal humihinto ang mundo
Sa piling mo
Ayaw kong mawala ayaw kong mawala

Huwag sasabihin
'Pag di ka nasilayan
Damdamin di mapakali natutuliro
Aaminin tunay na 'to

Nahulog na ng ganito
Ano bang meron sa 'yo"

***
A month after that accidental meeting at the coffee shop between Irene and I, I am at my happiest self. Everyone around me seems to notice the changes in me, even my father.

I am more patient, more relax, I smile more.. I am generally just a better person. I don't know what came up to me but I found myself asking Irene if she would live with me.

To say that she was shocked would be an understatement. She sat there, inside my car.. for a good ten minutes without saying anything.

And when she did, I laughed so hard I was almost crying.

'Nag d drugs ka ba?'

Only Irene can ask me that. Only her can make me laugh like that. There are a lot of things in my life right now that I cannot explain myself because the only thing that's making sense in all of those craziness is her.

I asked her to stop working for that agency. I will go crazy just by the thought that someone else is touching her, holding her.

I am used to negotiations but this contract between us is the hardest. She was skeptical why I wanted such arrangement in the first place, and I cannot even give her a sensible answer.

But in the end, she agreed. Ohh the relief I felt when she finally said "okay".

Her terms are simple.
I will provide her food and shelter.
I will allow her to continue working at the coffee shop.
I will pay for her school dues.
And this agreement shall continue for two years.

That's it.

I asked her why is she not demanding more, because to be honest? She deserves more.

'Ayan lang naman ang kailangan ko' was what she told me. I learned that she's still studying. But that is all, for the most part.

I haven't asked her anything that is more personal.
But I wanted to know more about her. She fascinates me. I am enchanted by now.

To make it easier for her, upon her request to not leave Quezon City, I secured this condo unit not too far from UP. I know she's from UP but she's not telling me which course is she taking.

And my family haven't thought much of me moving out, they simply sees it as something that I needed to do because of my work.

I wanted to buy Irene a new phone. The one that she's using now is outdated but she declined much to my annoyance. I badly wanted to do something for her. She's been cleaning and cooking for the two of us already. She deserves some treat every now and then. Besides, to my opinion, it is a necessity.

'Psst! Greg? Alis na ako ha?'
"Ang aga mo naman, wala pang seven ahh?"
'May kailangan ako i research ehh.'
"Just use my laptop kasi. Afternoon pa class mo diba?"

I also memorized her schedule without any effort. It just came naturally. The only thing I don't like about it, is when her shift from the coffee shop would rotate to another closing time. She won't be home not by almost midnight.