Tenth Parallel: 2024

"I love you, and that's the beginning and end of everything" - F. Scott Fitzgerald

***
GREGGY's POV:

She's extending! Without even asking me if that is okay! She just decided upon herself that she's going to spend five more days to that fucking farm in Bukidnon! Five more fucking days!!!

Which is why.. I am mad! Beyond mad!
And she's what? She's thinking that I'll just accept her decision as it is? Ganyan na lang? No talking to me first, no asking for permission! Basta na lang!

I've received several missed calls from her but I am not in any mood to even answer her. What for?

'Dad? Hey.. I'm leaving, you okay?'
"Yes. Si Andy?"
'Nasa room nya na, and Dad? Tumawag si Mama, hindi ka daw sumasagot sa tawag nya. Can you please call her back?'
"Alfonso.."
'Dad.. ako kukulitin ni Mama, sige na. Awayin mo na lang, but just call her back, please.'

Magaling lang naman ang nanay mo kapag ka gusto nya! Nakaka inis!

But to stop her from bugging Alfonso, I am calling her.. once and for all.

What time is it now? It's almost four in the afternoon. Ano na naman ang sasabihin nya? Na wala siyang signal! Yet the pictures of this trip of hers from all over the internet is showing otherwise! Hindi nya nga bitawan ang cellphone nya! Putangina!

I am more irritated that it keeps ringing but it's taking her forever to answer my call!

'Daddy? Hi! I was calling you, kanina pa'
"You do not have to call Alfy"
'You're not answering my calls ehh. Are you mad?'
"Mad? Irene! You are trying to put things lightly! Am I mad? Why the hell would I be mad? Tama lang naman ang gagawin mo, right?"
'Daddy.. we do not have to fight, please?'

Does it look like I want us fighting? Eh siya ang matigas ang ulo ahh!

"Please? Who's making decision out of whim? Ako ba?"
'Daddy naman.. kasi sila Xandra, ang mga bata.. ilang araw lang sila makakapag stay? Almost three days lang. Walang kasama si Luis, kaya lang naman ako mag e extend. It's not like ibang tao ang kasama ko'
"How about me? Ako ba Irene.. naiisip mo ba ako? Sinong kasama ko o kumain na ba ako? Si Luis, walang kasama? Anong tawag mo kay Xandra at sa mga bata? Eh ako? Nasaan ang asawa ko, sige nga?"
'Daddy naman.. this is too far, kaya ko lang naman sinabi na you do not have to join us. That's all'
"Malayo pala ehh! All the more reason para umuwi ka na! Is that so hard to understand?"
'You are making it sound as if I'm doing something wrong here, Greggy!'
"No! You know what I'm trying to say? I am making it sound as if you don't love me anymore!"

And when silence is all that's left between us, I decided to end the call. No I love you, no goodbyes.

It's rare for Irene and I to get into a fight. So much more so, a fight over the phone. But today, we did.

And it's not fun.
I wanted to call her back to say sorry, but I need her to also realize that she's wrong this time.

Dinner time came and she hasn't called me yet.
Ganyan na lang talaga? Galit na rin siya?

I don't know if I'd be able to catch some sleep. Hindi ako sanay matulog na magka away kami ni Irene ehh.

I keep tossing around until I get up because finding sleep is a lost cause! How is it that she's not missing me? Bakit parang ako lang ang nahihirapan?

When I open the door, Danica is standing outside.

"What the-"
'GA.. gatas po.'
"Ano? Bakit ka nakatayo lang dyan?"
'Kasi naman boss, kakatakot naman po ako, binuksan mo ang pintuan bigla'