hallway crush * finney blake

FINNEY BLAKE (the black phone) 1
PROMPT: •lonely reader
2454 WORDS

***

you'd never had many friends. you had friends, but never friends. like, there were people you spoke to, but they were never friends. but even then, they'd drifted out and you had stopped talking as much. you sat alone at break, sometimes hiding in the old building's toilets. you weren't bullied, teased or picked on. just quiet. nobody knew why you were like that, neither did you. you just didn't like talking. you had things to say but you didn't know how.

being alone does things to people. being surrounded by people but being utterly alone doesn't exactly make you feel good. you'd watch friend groups laughing together or chatting away mindlessly and just feel... sadness. no jealousy, no envy... just sadness. you tried to find solace in being alone, you tried to convince yourself you were lucky because you didn't have friend dramas nor did you have to strain your voice from talking too much nor did you have to go to plans you'd arranged but didn't want to go through. you tried to convince yourself the abandoned toilets were peaceful or the library was where people went to because they wanted to go, not because they had no friends.

he had friends. lots of them. after the whole grabber scandal, people started to notice him. they liked him for who he was. people would fist bump him in the corridors or say "hey, finney!" or flash him a smile if he locked eyes with them. even pretty donna had been talking to him. and all of this put your chances with him out the window, so much for the lonerxloner-finding-their-first-friendships-and-eventually-first-love-in-eachother trope.

***

math class was a bore, as per usual. the lesson dragged on and on. you placed your bag down under your desk at the back and seated yourself in the crappy plastic chair. the rest of the class filed in but you just kept your head down and your eyes on the desk. people didn't avoid you, they just wanted to sit with their friends, their clumps, which often left a few seats around you open for someone to take.

"sit yourselves down and let me start the register." miss clarkson stood at the front with her sheet of paper.

"missy robbins,"
"here,"
"y/n y/l/n,"
"here,"
"finney blake,"
"here! I'm here! sorry I'm late!" the boy was stood in the doorway, out of breath and slightly red. his hair looked windswept and his bag was on the wrong way round on his back with it only flung on one shoulder.

"mr blake. why are we... 2 minutes late?" miss clarkson asked in a jokingly stern tone.

"I- I got caught up," he replied.

"right, find a seat and sort yourself out, you look a mess!" miss chuckled at him and the rest of the class laughed. you cracked a small smile and watched as he walked across the front of the classroom and down one of the aisles into the seat right next to... you.

you? you scanned the room for his friends who were giving him apologetic looks. apparently some other group had sat in all the seats around them. finney sighed with a smile and shook his head at them.

"it's fine," he mouthed at them. they looked between you and finney with a weird expression. noticing their eyes on you, you quickly looked out the window.

"so now we know that x=4..." you tuned out miss clarkson's recap of last lessons work for those who weren't in and daydreamed out of the window. you glanced to finney to see his eyes fixed forward with a glazed expression.

finney wasn't listening. periodt. he was thinking about his interaction with his friends before he came to class.

"duudee! missy reisse was totally giving me eyes in bio this morning!" finney's friend, martin, raked his hands through his hair, checking himself out in the mirror as he spoke. they were hanging out in the abandoned boys bathroom where martin liked to go to smoke.