Chapter Twenty

Aang still didn't show up on Monday. The boys were so worried they hardly paid attention in  their classes. Professor Noatok kept getting onto them for being distracted in Defense Against The Dark Arts. Eventually, he gave all three of them detention after each of their practice Expelliarmus spells went awry.

Katara asked about Aang everyday since he went missing. Whenever they told her he was still in the hospital wing, she'd get a weird look on her face and walk off. Sokka thought his sister was acting weirder than normal, but was too distracted to ponder on it.

Professor Noatok allowed them to go eat in the Great Hall, but said they had to return as soon as they were finished to begin detention.

"Once again, Professor Noatok calls us out for no reason," Zuko said as they walked to the Great Hall.

"What's his problem anyways?" Sokka asked. "He seemed to have it out for us since we got here."

"Especially Aang," Bolin added.

"Speaking of Aang, looks like we're not going to be able to visit him in the hospital wing," Sokka said with disappointment.

"We won't need to," Zuko replied, pointing to the Hufflepuff table.

Aang was sitting at the table, looking pale and tired. He stared at the fire as he slowly ate.

"Blimey, he looks more tired than when we first met," Sokka muttered as the boys approached him.

Sokka plopped down on the bench next to Aang while Zuko and Bolin sat across from them. Aang looked up at them in surprise.

"Are you feeling better?" Bolin asked.

"Better?" Aang asked as he looked around at them.

"Professor Pakku said you were ill and in the hospital wing," Zuko said.

"Oh... yeah." Aang nodded. "Much better, thank you." He looked down, guilty of lying to his friends once again. He munched on a carrot from his plate, and drank a weird looking liquid from his cup.

"What's that?" Sokka asked, wrinkling his nose at the weird smell it gave off.

"A replenishing potion," Aang replied. "Gyatso said it would help me feel better. I didn't really eat when I was... sick."

Bolin frowned. "My Gran always makes soup for me when I'm sick. You should've eaten soup, it always makes me feel better.

"Madam Yugoda didn't have soup," Aang replied.

"I'm sure she would've gotten you some if you asked," Sokka said.

Aang shrugged. Zuko could tell he didn't want to talk about it, so he changed the subject. He told the others they better start eating so they could get to detention. Sokka told Aang about their DADA class and how Professor Noatok kept calling them out; Bolin caught Aang up on what he missed in classes.

Zuko watched Aang carefully as the other boys talked; he noticed there was a new scar on both his face and right hand.

Aang could tell Zuko was watching him, and shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. Did he find out his secret?

Eventually, the boys finished eating and had to go to their unfair detention. Aang got up after they left, and decided to go to the Library to catch up on the work he missed.

"Aang!" Katara called as he walked to the doors of the Great Hall. Aang turned to her as she approached him with a smile. "I see you're feeling better. Where are you going?"

"Library. I need to catch up on what I missed," Aang replied with smile. Though his smile wasn't as bright as she had seen since they've known each other.