22

I sat quietly and looked directly out the front of the car, scared to look anywhere else. Luckily, he wasn't revving up the car or speeding, so I wasn't scared of having an accident. Everything around us was dark, except for the street lights and the other cars on the highway. It wasn't exactly busy but it wasn't anywhere near quiet.

After thirty minutes of utter awkward silence, the only sounds were the voices coming from the radio.

"Welcome to the nine o'clock news. Hope your all having a relaxed ending to your Tuesday night!" the lady on the radio spoke to the silent car. They ran through some of today's news headlines, then the weather and the some traffic. I reached for the button to turn it over, but I stopped when I heard Tristan's name. His eyes became wider as he heard his own name.

"The biggest entertainment story of today comes from one of today's youngest stars. Tristan Dawson has got himself in hot water after allegations he cheated on ex-girlfriend and model Alex Wilson. After him and Alex broke up late last May due to what she explains as 'complications', does this mean that Tristan cheated on her with this new girl?"

I didn't want him to change the station, I wanted to hear this story and it looks like he did as well. I slightly looked at him in the corner of my eye and saw his jaw clench up.

Audio began rolling from what seemed like Alex's interview where she was apparently talking about Tristan.

"Yeah, Tristan and I did break up. Um, the end of May actually. I guess when two people aren't right for each other something happens and you know it doesn't work out. It was a ten month relationship. But yeah as I said some things just don't turn out the way that you may want them to," she laughed.

"So was there a particular reason?" the interviewer asked.

"I mean there was kind of, but I would never dis-respect him in that way. We're good friends now and we're long over it, so you know I wish him the best for whatever he comes across. I mean I would have felt worse if the feeling wasn't mutual, but the breakup was mutual so yeah!"

"So from that we can tell that they did break up late last May, which is only a few weeks ago. Looks like the young heartthrob moves on fast! But then, why would he break up with her? What was the reason? All signs seem to point to the young brunette he's been hanging out with lately..." she ended.

I stared into the distant road as the news segment ended. Tristan never talked about Alex. I thought I was the first girl he had feelings for, if he still had any for me. I liked him but I wasn't sure where my feelings were going.

We turned into the airport pickup carpark and I had never felt more relieved. That was by far the most awkward car ride I'd ever been in.

"Do you want me to come?" he asked politely, as if all the anger had suddenly left his system.

"No." I climbed out of the car.

"Wait!" he called out to me. "What if she notices me?"

I turned back realizing he had a point. I quickly sat down and looked at him in the seat beside me. I patted his tall hair down and parted it so he looked younger. The hair gel stuck to the tips of my fingers. I noticed him smile up at me as I parted his hair down the middle. I tore my sunglasses off my head and held them out for him. Luckily they weren't too girly.

"Wear these," I mumbled as I climbed out again. He reluctantly put them on and shuffled around into the backseat where he sat in the middle. I closed the door and looked at the boy in the back seat. I made my way in to the doors of the airport and groaned. Here we go.