13

My mouth was dry and tasted strange. My eyes slowly fluttered open to see underneath the single bed in my bedroom. The floorboards were dusty and dark. As I went to sit up I felt one warm arm snaked around my hips and down to the floor. I turned and remembered. Kai.

He lay with his eyes twitching. I slowly lifted his arm off of me, trying not to wake him. I checked the time on my phone. It was 6.11 a.m. I groaned and contemplated falling back asleep in Kai's arms or sleeping in my own bed. My phone began to vibrate and I went to quickly answer it before it awoke Kai. It was my mom. I ran quietly out of the room and down the stairs to an empty room of furniture. No Jeremy.

"Mom, hey!" I said kinda groggily.

"Mae... What's wrong?" she asked on the other end of the line, concern in her voice.

"Nothing, it's just it's like six am here."

"Oh my. I'm so sorry honey. Here it's just gone nine am."

"Mom why haven't you left for the cruise? I thought there wasn't any cell service?" I asked, my pale knuckles rubbing my eyes.

"The cruise was delayed. We leave tomorrow now instead. I just wanted to check on to see how you are."

"I'm fine mom."

"You don't sound fine, where is Jeremy? Is he there?"

"No... mom. He actually isn't," my voice stressed to the other end of the line.

"Why?"

"I don't know mom!" I yelled, forgetting Kai was just a few rooms away.

The other end of the line went silent.

"Has something happened Mae?" she asked after a few moments of silence.

"Mom... I'm-"something cut me off. I turned around when I heard the floorboards creak behind me. Kai stood with ruffled hair, shirtless and in Jeremy's board shorts. I stood stunned at the beautiful sight ahead of me.

"Uh, I gotta go mom... have fun on your cruise," I faded off. I could hear her yelling how much she loves me as I hung up the phone and put it on the dinner table beside me. Kai's gaze was stuck on me.

"Hey there!" he smiled at me as he came over and cupped my face. He slowly leaned in for a long kiss. I broke the kiss when I went to speak.

"I'm so sorry about last night, I really didn't think it would turn out that way..." I mumbled, looking away from his gaze. His right hand still cupped my face, but then slowly fell off ever so lightly. I really didn't feel anything for Kai, I just wanted a distraction from Tristan.

"What do you mean you're sorry?" he asked as he wiped his hands on the side of his pants.

"I don't think this- whatever this is, is going to work. We barely know each other," I basically whispered.

"That's what makes it more interesting!" he cried at me, startling me slightly.

"Kai-"

"I see," he grumbled and turned towards the stairs, then walked up. He came down a few moments later with his wet clothes and Jeremy's shirt. He harshly shoved Jeremy's shirt at me.

"Kai, you know what I mean. That just came out badly."

"Yeah, whatever. You're just like all those Hollywood girls."

"Don't you dare say that about me!" I yelled through gritted teeth. He got closer to me and slipped his wet shirt on. I stared at him as he walked towards the door.

"What about the board shorts?" I asked him.

"I'm sure you don't need them. Jeremy- or whoever it is, is never around to wear them anyway!" he yelled and then slammed the door behind him. I ran to the window beside the door and watched him walk straight to Meredith's house and then open her door. I was alone. Again.

A/N Short chapter sorryyyy :)))) thanks for all the reads and comments! Comment your thoughts on the story so far! It's about to get goooood