Chapter 21-She's back

I walked through the door to my house, Lilliana tucked underneath my jacket, her warmth a comforting thing.

I had been gone for quite a bit by now and as soon as I entered, my mother rushed out from the kitchen.

"Brinley? Oh thank Merlin your alr-" My mother stared, stopping as she noticed the small bundle in my arms, her eyes welling up with tears as a hand came to cover her face.

"Lilli?"

I smiled, hurrying to close the distance between me and my mother as she wrapped her arms around me and Lilliana.

"I should have told you I was leaving with Dumbledore, I just didn't want you to worry if it was nothing. He told me he had some knowledge and I promised to not worry about her over break but it's been so hard mo-"

She stopped me, nodding and looking at me with a look of understanding.

I closed my eyes tightly as I melted into the embrace, holding Lilli just a bit closer to me.

She let me go up to my room shortly after that, although I couldn't sleep. My mind was racing as I laid her on my bed, setting the bag of stuff on my dresser as I quickly scanned over her. Not a single bruise, scratch, cut, nothing.

She looked absolutely fine, and I think that broke me. The fact that they took my daughter not to hurt her, but to hurt me. To hold her against me, keep her from me.

I didn't sleep, like I said- I couldn't. I sat there holding her against me all night, keeping her close to me.

When I looked out of the window and saw it was bright outside, I decided to head downstairs and see if my mother or father were awake.

I slowly crept down the stairs, Lilli in my arms. She had only woken up a few times during the night, cried twice. I missed the sound, no matter how much it used to annoy me.

I saw my mother sitting on the couch and smiled tiredly, walking over to her.

She looked over, returning the smile as I sat down.

"Brin? Did you sleep at all last night dear?" She asked, her voice full of concern.

I shook my head, my smile dropping.

"I couldn't. I didn't want to take my eyes off of her, mom.. I didn't trust that nothing would happen. I can't lose her again.."

She took Lilli from me, pulling me to lay against her side, my head on her shoulder.

"Sleep, Brinley. I'll stay right here with her. Relax for a bit, please." She said, running a hand through my hair.

I nodded, feeling my eyes already closing as I drifted off.

~~~~

I woke up to the smell of bacon coming from the kitchen. Yawning, I sat up and immediately noticed the absence of my mother next to me, as well as Lilliana.

I stood and made my way to the kitchen, pushing open the door to see my mother holding Lilli as she cooked.

Lilliana was babbling and giggling as she stared up at my mother, her eyes full of the excitement they always had been full of.

I smiled and walked over, swooping her from my mother's arms and swinging her around softly, careful not to move her too fast.

I kiss her nose as she giggles and my heart is so full of emotion that I have to pause just to pull her in to me and hug her tightly.