Six

"Good morning

"Good morning." I smile at Harry, holding cups of coffee in both hands, watching him lift his head from his computer to meet my eyes. "I bought you a coffee." I'm being nice to him because Niamh thinks I should despite being his boss, I need some authority.

"Oh, thank you." He accepts it, taking it from my hand and placing it straight onto his desk. "How's Niamh?" I smile at his curiosity, he hasn't seen her much in the past week because she's been so busy that when she comes into the office she naps.

She's really been putting her body through a lot when she doesn't necessarily need to be, I've told her to cut her workload back a little because she shouldn't be this stressed. Niamh is independent however, so that makes me wrong.

I just worry about her.

If I could, I'd wrap her up in bubble wrap purely to protect her from the evils in the world, she doesn't deserve to be exposed to anything else.

"Busy." I chuckle, "I think going to Ireland next week is stressing her out, she's trying to make up for the time we'll lose here."

Thankfully, we're going away in the little week break the school has so she doesn't have to worry about finding a suitable cover teacher which would've only added massively to her stress.

Harry's already aware that I won't be at work for a week so he's in charge of most things. I've been teaching him little bits and pieces throughout the past few days, he learns quickly.

"I noticed, it's like she's on a constant sugar rush." He chuckles, picking up on the fact all she has consumed is sugar and it's something she needs to do.

Niamh is diabetic and sometimes crashes without sugar which is extremely dangerous so when she's stressed she consumes double the amount out of worry she'll work herself into hypoglycaemia. It's the main reason I have a fridge full of sugary drinks and random bags of sweets in my desk drawers.

I know exactly how to help her if she begins to hypo, I've been taught how to give her an injection of glucagon if she ever needs it. It's scary to think about but as long as she's eating balanced meals and a little extra sugar to ease her anxiety then it's fine.

"Mhm... do I have any meetings today?" I swiftly changed the topic off of Niamh, not wanting to tell him anything about her medical history but it might be a good idea to have him learn how to give her a glucagon injection if I'm not around.

"Not face to face but a telephone call with a Sean Murphy at ten." He informs me, lifting his drink to finally sip and from his expression I can tell it's too hot.

"That's just Niamh's uncle, it's not about business... don't tell her about him ringing when she comes up though." My voice lowers, looking at Harry seriously.

He frowns slightly but nods, "I won't tell her but why are you being so secretive? Does she not speak to him or something?"

It's not quite that simple, it never is.