Fourteen

I wake up to the sound of muffled giggles, stretching out on the mattress the best I can with a fully grown man clinging to me like I'm a childhood teddy bear

I wake up to the sound of muffled giggles, stretching out on the mattress the best I can with a fully grown man clinging to me like I'm a childhood teddy bear. Lulling my head against the pillow to look at his quiet sleeping face beside me, his blonde hair all messy and floppy over his forehead as he snores gently.

It's not often I wake up first but I like it when I do because it means I can admire my husband in the silence. He just looks so soft and gentle while he sleeps, I reach up and brush the soft strands from his skin so I can see his face in all its glory.

When we first got together I struggled to sleep so I spent a lot of my time watching him doing something I wish I could, he always looked so peaceful and I just never felt that way when I slept.

I was plagued with nightmares and horrible thoughts when I shut my eyes yet Niall could just sleep with ease, it was always so intriguing to me.

I've missed watching him so peaceful, it's moments like this that remind me to take a deep breath and remind myself of what I'm grateful for.

However, this morning seems like I'm getting a taste of the future because the door pushes open ever so slowly and little giggles fill the quiet space.

My eyes go down to the door as Poppy walks hesitantly into the bedroom with her palm over her mouth in the hopes to silence her sweet giggles. I watch her tip toe around the room and I decide to shut my eyes, allowing her to wake Niall and I up herself.

I just can't wipe the smile off my face though.

The bed dips behind my back, feeling the smallest of hands on my waist while she leans over me and almost slips between Niall and I. She shuffles up and I feel gently taps on my face, my smile deepening as she whispers, "Auntie Evieeee, mornin' my cherry."

I roll slightly and she falls between Niall and I in the bed, a chorus of giggles leaving her lips and my heart swarms with happiness. I think she's heard Harry call me ma chérie and has tried to pronounce it herself and is instead calling me 'my cherry'.

"Niamh?" Niall's voice is super tired and raspy this morning, "an bhfeicann tú an leanbh ina leaba?"

I grin as he speaks groggily in Irish, my heart swarming with love for him. He rarely speaks it now just because we're not living in Ireland anymore but whenever he does it makes me feel so fucking warm and fuzzy.

Poppy's pulling a face, not understanding a word that's left his lips as she peels herself to sit between us. I can tell she's slept well, her curls are all messy and she lines on her skin from where she's been laid against something - she looks a lot like Harry this morning.

"Tá an leanbh is gleoite inár leaba. Tá sí anseo chun maidin mhaith a rá." I respond in Irish and Poppy frowns deeper, "let's get him Pops!" I whisper in excitement and her features light up as I slowly begin to count back from five.