Eighteen

Warning
Guns and Emotional Distress

"What's with the sad face, my sweet baby?"

Entering to find my little girl with the largest pout on her lips makes me smile brightly, she's been missing her auntie and uncle ever since we moved back home properly over a week ago. She sees Niamh practically every day at school but it's Sunday today, it's been awhile without one of her favourite people.

"Missin' my Cherry." She tells me exactly what I expected her to say, glancing up at me with big green eyes in the hopes I take her to see her Cherry.

"I know, baby." I sigh with a smile, walking around the room to take a seat beside her on the sofa where she's sitting in her little duck onesie while drinking some milk before bedtime. "I miss your Cherry too."

She blows out a heavy breath, holding the little biscuit between her fingers as she watches the rain patter down against the glass outside. If it wasn't so close to bedtime I'd take her over to Niamh and Niall's for a surprise visit but she'll see her auntie tomorrow at school - just a few hours away.

Niamh's been having a really tough week, she's struggling and I can see how Niall's anxious over not being around her. I don't know what's going on, I haven't asked because I don't want to cross an unspoken boundary plus it's not really my business to know. But I'm also now worrying about that sweet Angel, she doesn't deserve to ever feel any of the hard emotions in life.

I don't know much about her past but it's obvious her relationship with her family isn't the best or at least wasn't great when she was younger. I saw how her mother treated her when I was there so I can't imagine what she was like when no one else was around, it was even sadder that neither Niall or Niamh seemed to flinch at the words thrown around - they were expecting it.

Niall's mentioned Niamh at work a few times, how she's struggling and has been for the past few days and I notice it myself when she comes into work for a few hours. She's extra quiet and keeping to herself, it's strange seeing her so reserved, it's so unlike her normal grinning self.

"Shall we make a present for your Cherry?" I suggest, Niamh might like a little pick me up gift from her little niece, I think it would lift her spirits even if it's just momentarily.

My baby's eyes light up at the idea, my heart melting at her innocent and gentle excitement. "A picture?" She suggests, wanting my opinion.

"I think your Cherry will love for you to draw her a picture." I encourage, making her smile brighter. "Finish off your milk and I'll get you some pencils, Poppet." I make the promise, leaning in to kiss her little forehead and seeing a cute dimpled smile appear on her baby face.

With her happy finishing off her pre bedtime snack I head upstairs in the search of colouring equipment for my baby, she'll probably be staying up a little later than normal to do this for Niamh.