WE CAPTURE A FLAG

Percy pov

The next few days I settled into a routine that felt almost normal if you don't count the fact that I was getting lessons from satyrs, nymphs, and a centaur.

Each morning I took Ancient Greek from Annabeth, and we talked about the gods and goddesses in the present tense, which was kind of weird. I discovered Annabeth was right about my dyslexia:

Ancient Greek wasn't that hard for me to read. At least, no harder than English. After a couple of mornings, I could stumble through a few lines of Homer without too much headache.

The rest of the day, I'd rotate through outdoor activities, looking for something I was good at. Chiron tried to teach me archery, but we found out pretty quickly I wasn't any good with a bow and arrow. He didn't complain, even when he had to desnag a stray arrow out of his tail.

Foot racing? Not good either. The wood-nymph instructors left me in the dust. They told me not to worry about it. They'd had centuries of practice running away from lovesick gods. But still, it was a little humiliating to be slower than a tree.

And wrestling? Forget it. Every time I got on the mat, Clarisse would pulverize me.

"There's more where that came from, punk," she'd mumble in my ear.

The only thing I excelled at was canoeing, and that wasn't the kind of heroic skill people expected to see from the kid who had beaten the Minotaur.

I knew the senior campers and counsellors were watching me, trying to decide who my dad was, but they weren't having an easy time of it. I wasn't as strong as the Ares kids, or as good at archery as the Apollo kids. I didn't have Hephaestus's skill with metalwork or — gods forbid — Dionysus's way with vine plants. Luke told me I might be a child of Hermes, a kind of jack-of-all-trades, master of none. But I got the feeling he was just trying to make me feel better. He didn't know what to make of me either. 

I love to camp but there is one thing I hate about it how most of them treated Amara. The night she got claimed a huge cabin emerged on a hill near the other cabin. it has the primidionals symbols.

she didn't look surprised for she later told me after I helped her moved that her old family died and she was adopted by them. 

"if they had not taken me in... I would be in the underworld as a spirit.  I lost my sister, brothers, and grandpa. my parents already died long before." she said 

She told me that I visit her cabin anytime which I do. Luke and Chiron took over her training and surprisingly she can handle the train and even taught them and them her power.

Fishface looked so cool and it was fun riding on xlr8 back zooming around camp which attracted the younger campers to play with her mostly a kid named will which made me jealous of how clingy he is.

I got used to the morning fog over the beach, the smell of hot strawberry fields in the afternoon, and even the weird noises of monsters in the woods at night. I would eat
dinner with cabin eleven or with Amara at her table in cabin 0, scrape part of my meal into the fire, and try to feel some connection to my real dad. Nothing came.

Just that warm feeling I'd always had, like the memory of his smile. I tried not to think too much about my mom, but I kept wondering: if gods and monsters were real, if all this magical stuff was possible, surely there was some way to save her, to bring her back. . . .

I started to understand Luke's bitterness and how he seemed to resent his father, Hermes but he doesn't fully resent him after I saw him talking to Amara.

So okay, maybe gods had important things to do. But couldn't they call once in a while, or thunder, or something? Dionysus could make Diet Coke appear out of thin air. Why couldn't my dad, whoever he
was, make a phone appear?