The Truth of the Quest

DON'T BE A SILENT READER

Amara pov

The boys and I tried to blend into the crowd in the asphodel fields, keeping an eye out for security ghouls. I couldn't help looking for familiar faces among the spirits of Asphodel, but the dead are hard to look at. Their faces shimmer. They all look slightly angry or confused. They will come up to you and speak, but their voices sound like chatter, like bats twittering. Once they realize you can't understand them, they frown and move away.

The dead aren't scary. They're just sad. We crept along, following the line of new arrivals that snaked from the main gates toward a black-tented pavilion with a banner that read:

JUDGMENTS FOR ELYSIUM AND ETERNAL DAMNATION

Welcome, Newly Deceased!

Out the back of the tent came two much smaller lines. To the left, spirits flanked by security ghouls were marched down a rocky path toward the Fields of Punishment, which glowed and smoked in the distance, a vast, cracked wasteland with rivers of lava and minefields and miles of barbed wire separating the different torture areas. Even from far away, I could see people being chased by hellhounds, burned at the stake, forced to run naked through cactus patches or listen to opera music. I could just make out a tiny hill, with the ant-size figure of Sisyphus struggling to move his boulder to the top. And I saw worse tortures, two — things I don't want to describe.

The line coming from the right side of the judgment pavilion was much better. This one led down toward a small valley surrounded by walls — a gated community, which seemed to be the only happy part of the Underworld. Beyond the security gate were neighborhoods of beautiful houses from every time period in history, Roman villas and medieval castles, and Victorian mansions. Silver and gold flowers bloomed on the lawns. The grass rippled in rainbow colors. I could hear laughter and smell barbecue cooking.

Elysium.

In the middle of that valley was a glittering blue lake, with three small islands like a vacation resort in the Bahamas. The Isles of the Blest, for people who had chosen to be reborn three times, and three times achieved Elysium. Immediately I knew that's where I wanted to go when I died.

"That's what it's all about," Luke said like he was reading my thoughts. "That's the place for heroes."

But I thought of how few people there were in Elysium, how tiny it was compared to the Fields of Asphodel or even the Fields of Punishment. So few people did good in their lives. It was depressing.

But I froze when I saw a familiar person walking as he was heading back to the gated community. My eyes filled with tears when I saw him coming to me smiling.

" Amara kid...how are you doing dear?"

" Grandpa...GRANDPA!" I broke down in his ghostly arms and surprisingly I was able to hug him. I could not stop the tears from coming down as I hugged my grandpa close. 

"How are you here? I thought you will be in heaven in the other world" I said 

" well, Elysium is connected to all worlds in a way. So Hades heard your coming, word got to my ears and I asked him if I can guide you to him....as one more memory. He is quite amused you got his guard dog to play." he said 

" and Gwen, Kevin? Rook?" I asked 

" they all in Elysium even Kevin," he said 

"ok, that is a surprise he tried to kill me when I was 10...But that is amazing" I said smiling as Grandpa wipes my tears. " Oh, Grandpa let me introduce you to my friends! That is Luke, Grover, and Percy"