DIVING TO OUR DEATH

Amara pov

We spent two days on the Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over rivers, and past amber waves of grain. We weren't attacked once, but I didn't relax. I felt that we were traveling around in a display case, being watched from above and maybe from below, that something was waiting for the right opportunity.

Percy tried to keep a low profile because his name and picture were splattered over the front pages of several East Coast newspapers. The Trenton Register-News showed a photo taken by a tourist as we got off the Greyhound bus. he had a wild look in his eyes. his sword was a metallic blur in my hands. It might've been a baseball bat or a lacrosse stick.

The picture's caption read:

Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy may be traveling with three teenage accomplices.

His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture.

 "Don't worry," Luke told us. "Mortal police could never find us." But he didn't sound so sure.

The rest of the day I spent alternately pacing the length of the train, playing I spy games, or looking out the windows.

Once, I spotted a family of centaurs galloping across a wheat field, bows at the ready, as they hunted lunch. The little boy centaur, who was the size of a second-grader on a pony, caught my eye and waved. I waved back 

I looked around the passenger car, but nobody else had noticed. The adult riders all had their faces buried in laptop computers or magazines. Another time, toward evening, I saw something huge moving through the woods. I could've sworn it was a lion, except that lions don't live wild in America, and this thing was the size of a Hummer. Its fur glinted gold in the evening light. Then it leaped through the trees and was gone.

Wish I had a camera

Our reward money for returning Gladiola the poodle had only been enough to purchase tickets as far as Denver. We couldn't get berths in the sleeper car, so we dozed in our seats. My neck got stiff but it was fine. Percy slept on my shoulder as Ship napped on my lap. At least he didn't drool.

Grover kept snoring and bleating and waking me up. Once, he shuffled around and his fake foot fell off. Luke and I had to stick it back on before any of the other passengers noticed. Percy was still asleep while using Ship as a pillow

"So," Luke asked me, once we'd gotten Grover's sneaker readjusted. "Who wants your help?"

"What do you mean?" I said

"When you were asleep just now, you mumbled, 'I won't help you.' Who were you dreaming about?"

I was reluctant to say anything. It was the second time I'd dreamed about the evil voice from the pit. But I told him.

Luke was quiet for a long time. "So you're saying that you have been Having dreams which Kronos offered your family back in trade for the bolt? Holy hades...." he said

" yeah but he is offering something I lost already...nothing can bring people back from the dead," I said 

" Wait are your family dead?" " yeah....not so long ago. Luke, there is something I have not told anyone...I am a reincarnation...I died when I was 16....in my world"

Luke's face fell in shock. I told him my story about who I was in my world...a 10-year-old girl with a power of a watch to change into aliens grew up till she was 16 as the universe hero and protector who lost her family in the final battle and was killed in a car crash. but I was saved by the primordials who are part of my alien x and gave me a fresh start in this world.