1. Lunch

Several months ago, I forged a new friendship that swiftly evolved into a profound connection, transforming us into best friends within a matter of days. Our bond is marked by an uncanny ability to finish each other's sentences, shared laughter that resonates effortlessly over anything and nothing. His given name is Dashiell, though I affectionately refer to him as Dash. At the age of 20, I find myself a year junior to him.

Prior to meeting him, my social circle was non-existent. My routine consisted of attending university and returning home, leading to a rather mundane existence. However, since he entered my life, everything has taken a delightful turn. We spend almost every afternoon together, investing hours in each other's company. I've confided in him about every aspect of my life, and he, in turn, has shared his own experiences, with the exception of details about his family.

He has intriguingly kept his family a mystery, labeling it as a surprise. Although I'm uncertain about the nature of this surprise, he assures me that one day I'll have the chance to meet them, promising it to be a profoundly special experience. The only snippets of information he's revealed are that his parents are divorced but maintain a positive relationship. Additionally, he has two younger brothers and a younger sister, leaving me with just these fragments to piece together about his family.

It's Saturday today, and Dash and I have made plans to spend the entire day together. I'm about to meet him in a café for breakfast in just five minutes.

--

Dash: You know, we had planned to spend the day just the two of us, but how about joining me for lunch with my family?

Y/N: I would absolutely love to!

Dash: Great, because I already let my parents know you're coming, and they've prepared everything. The whole gang is there: my mom, dad, and my three siblings.

Y/N: You told your parents I was coming before even telling me? -laughs- You're truly one of a kind...

Dash: Yeah, I know. I'm the best -laughs.

Y/N: You'd be the best if Cate Blanchett didn't exist. But she does, so you're a close second -I wink.

Dash: I hate you -he says with feigned anger.

Y/N: I love you too.

--

Lunchtime has arrived, and we're strolling towards his house.

D (Dash): Before we get there, there's something I want to share with you.

Y (Y/N): What is it?

D: It might not make sense right now, but please, don't get upset when you meet them. I'll fill you in on everything later.

Y: Why would I be mad at you?

D: You'll understand soon enough. Just promise me you won't be upset.

Y: I promise.

I can't fathom why he mentioned that, but it's irrelevant now as we stand in front of his house.

D: Welcome to my house, or well, my mother's house.

Y: Oh wow! It's enormous and absolutely stunning! I love it!

D: Thanks! Let's head inside.

Upon entering, we are greeted by a little girl who eagerly embraces Dash. She appears to be around 7 or 8 years old, exuding a shy demeanor. Despite her shyness, I make the decision to engage in conversation with her.

Y: Hello! I'm Y/N. What's your name?

In a whimsical and adorable manner, she playfully hides behind Dash.