CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

It's summer, was the first thought I had. The sun was warm on my skin and the air humid. I could smell a fire burning, and meat, like at a barbeque. I opened my eyes, the sun was so bright it almost forced me to close them again.

I was still wearing the same clothes I'd died in, still drenched in my blood. I took in the view, the Hale House at its full glory no sign of any fire damage. Suddenly my body jolted forwards. Cora. She was smaller than I remembered although we were both small for our age. She looked almost identical to the last time I had seen here before the fire, a flowery summer dress on and hair pulled up into a ponytail by a scrunchie.

"Come on Lexie! The food is ready!" She pulled on my hand again. I followed her and my eyes examined the scene in front of me. They were all here, the adults stood talking amongst themselves most of which were holding beers in their hands. Peter was doing the barbequing as he always did and Mrs Hale was standing watching over him, directing him much to his ire.

Laura was running around laughing like a maniac with all the kids chasing her. I knew that if Cora hadn't of been dragging me along, she would've been there too. I took in a deep breath and took in everything I could feel from all of my senses, this is where I've wanted to be all this time. With my family.

I only wished my mom and Scott were here too. As we walked closer Peter called out to me, "Alex, Catch!" Suddenly a cooked burger flew through the air like a frisbee and smacked me right in the face. Peter let out a bellowing laugh at my dumbfounded face, Talia smacked him on the back of the head although she was smiling too.

His laughing stopped abruptly when the burger landed with a splat right in his face, almost going straight into his mouth. Cora laughed triumphantly and pulled me over to the rest of the kids, dancing the whole way.

I was pulled into a game of tag instantly, I started running around like a maniac with everyone else laughing the whole time. I couldn't understand why I was here, seeing these people. Maybe this is heaven I pondered. I didn't care whatever was happening I was content to stay here forever.

...

Later the remainder of us were sat around a small fire. I felt very sleepy, and I think Cora was actually asleep in my lap at the very least she had her eyes closed. Peter was scheming about the next prank he was planning although he kept the victim very close to his chest.

I had a burning questioning that had been dragging on my mind all day, despite the fun I'd had. "Guys, where's Derek?" I asked with a frown on my face. Everyone still awake chuckled and smiled, Laura rolled her eyes beside me.

"You always have run round after him, haven't you?" Laura stated with a soft smile on her face.

"No – I-"

Cora looked up at me with her big, wide beautiful eyes. "Don't be silly Lexi. He's not here because he's not dead."

Although I already knew what she said was true the realisation hit me hard. How long would it be before I saw him again? Would I ever get to see him again?

"You look after my son, you hear me?" Talia said sternly, I nodded without question, does that mean I'm still alive?

"Don't frown Darling. You'll be with him again soon." Peter reassured me in a very un-peter way. "Let's just stay here for now and play some cards."

Cora sat up straight and whispered into my ear, "It's not time for you to go yet."

We played cards and laughed and joked as if the sombre conversation we'd had had never taken place. I eventually drifted of into a light sleep the sound of my family buzzing around me.