CHAPTER ONE

Bang!

A dull thud echoed throughout the house that jolted me out of my peaceful dreamless sleep. I scrambled around for a few moments before getting my bearings. I took a few deep breaths and grabbed the first thing that I could see that I'd feasibly be able to use as a weapon, my brother's old lacrosse stick that had somehow ended up in my room. "Scott?" I whispered as quietly as I could across the landing into his room.

I heard some shuffling coming from across the hall as he moved around. "Alex? Did you just hear that?" he whispered back to me. Now knowing that Scott hadn't been the source of the noise I crept across the hall into his room, gripping the lacrosse stick so tightly in my hands my knuckles turned white. He gave me a perplexed look as he saw me but then seemed to pick up on what I had been thinking as he then picked up a baseball bat out of the corner of his room.

Bang!

Scoot made a 'follow me' hand gesture, I followed very closely behind as he took the lead downstairs. We crept through the house and Scott opened the door and stepped on to the porch. Just as I stepped forward to go out onto the lawn a dark figure swung down from the roof. Scott yelled and flung the bat wildly but missed, I however, swung forward with the stick and wacked the dark figure.

The intruder screamed and let out a grunt of pain. Scott recognised his voice and immediately dropped his weapon. "Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" I let out a sigh of relief and dropped my makeshift weapon.

"Oh my god, Alex, I can't believe you hit me." He groaned, clutching at his stomach where I'd managed to get him.

"Honestly, Stiles, I would say I was sorry but what would you expect me to do when you try and break into my house in the middle of the night? What were you even doing up there?" I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest, I love Stiles as if he were my brother but in times like these I really could strangle the guy.

"Neither of you were answering your phones." Stiles cried with an affronted look as if that explained why he had been crawling around on the roof.

Scott rolled his eyes, "Huh, maybe because it's the middle of the night. I thought you were a predator!"

"A pre – I – wha – look, I know its late, but you gotta hear this."

"I swear to god Stiles, if this isn't a life-or-death situation, I'm going to murder you!" I hissed angrily.

His hands shot up in defence, "Ha – funny you say that. Look, anyway, I saw my dad leave 20 minutes ago. Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even state police."

I exchanged a sideways glance with Scott. "For what?" he asked.

"The joggers found a body in the woods." Stiles replied. Weird, things like this don't happen in Beacon Hills. Stiles swung down from the rafters and fell onto the front lawn.

"A dead body?" Scott asked, leaning over the porch to look at Stiles.

I rolled my eyes and Stiles scoffed. "No, a body of water. Yes, dumbass, a dead body." He jumped over the railing and stood on the porch next to Scott and I.

Scott blinked. "You mean like murdered?"

"Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl, probably in her 20s."

I noticed the glint in Stiles eyes and knew exactly what he was thinking. "You know what, Stiles? That's great and all but I think we should all go back to bed and-"

"Wait a minute." Scott interrupted. I scowled at him, but it didn't deter him. "If they found the body, then what are they looking for?"

"That's the best part." Stiles said, his face morphing into a grin. "They only found half."