CHAPTER TWELVE

I had a free period, so I sat in on the boys Econ class, bored out of my mind. I sat next to Stiles; Allison had taken his usual seat behind Scott. I leaned towards Stiles, "So why is Scott avoiding Allison?" I asked.

Earlier Scott had informed Stiles and I that he had finally gone to Derek for help. Typically, Stiles had decided that he would be able to teach Scott better than Derek. He stole Coach's heart monitor and during their free period he tried to help Scott.

From what Stiles had told me, it wasn't a fun experience for Scott. I wish I had been there to see it. "Allison raises his pulse." Stiles explained for the second time, "When his pulse rises, he changes."

"I still don't understand why he doesn't just go to Derek." I muttered under my breath.

Finstock slammed a book down on his desk. "Let's start with a quick summary of last night's reading." Greenburg's hand shot up, "Greenburg, put your hand down, everybody knows you did the reading. How about McCall Junior?"

Scott looked up; he hadn't been paying attention. "What?"

"The reading." Coach repeated.

"Last night's reading?" Scott asked. I rolled my eyes and Stiles groaned softly.

"How about the reading of the Gettysburg Address?" Coach said sarcastically.

Scott's face scrunched up in confusion, "What?"

"That's sarcasm." Finstock said. "You familiar with the term 'sarcasm', McCall?"

Scott looked in Stiles' direction, "Very."

Stiles and I grinned at each other. "Did you do the reading or not?" Coach demanded.

"Uh... I think I forgot," Scott replied.

"Nice work, McCall!" Finstock exclaimed. "It's not like you're averaging a D in this class. Come on, buddy. You know I can't keep you on the team if you have a D. How about you summarise, uh, the previous night's reading?" Scott shook his head. "No? How about the night before that? How about you summarize anything you've ever read in your entire life?"

I noticed a beeping sound and glanced at the phone that Stiles was holding. The number was rapidly increasing as Coach continued to yell at Scott.

"No? A blog? How about the back of a cereal box? No? How about the adults only warning from your favourite website you visit every night? Anything?"

I glanced down at the heart monitor and shared a worried look with Stiles. His heart rate was still increasing rapidly.

"Thank you, McCall, thank you. Thank you, McCall!" Finstock said, slamming his hands on his desk. "Thank you for extinguishing any. Last. Flicker of hope for your generation! You just blew it for everybody. Thanks. Next practise you can start with suicide runs. Unless that's too much reading."

I was starting to think of a way to get Scott out of here when all of a sudden, the beeping slowed down, and his heartbeat began to steadily decline. I looked down and noticed Allison's hand intertwined with Scott's.

I hit Stiles on the arm, "Ow." He hissed, rubbing the spot where I hit him. I pointed towards Scott and Allison's hands.

"It's her." I told Stiles quietly, "She brought him back." Maybe Derek had been wrong about staying away from Allison, but I would never say that thought to the boys.

For the rest of the class, Coach didn't even look in Scott's direction. Stiles was practically bouncing in his seat, waiting to tell Scott the news. "It's Allison." Stiles declared as the three of us left the room.