CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

I grabbed Stiles' arm and dragged him in the direction of the exit. A nurse, who I presumed was Jennifer, blocked our way out. "What are you doing here? Visiting hours are over."

"You - and him." Stiles stuttered. "You're - you're the one who - Oh, my - and he's - Oh, my God, I'm gonna die."

A flash of black crossed my vision. Jennifer was elbowed in the face by Derek. "That's not nice." Peter taunted. "She's, my nurse."

"She's a psychotic bitch." I said confidently.

"Helping you kill people." Derek added. "Get out of the way." He said in the direction of me and Stiles. Stiles scrabbled and moved behind Derek, but I stayed where I was.

"Finishing each other's sentences," Peter mocked, "how cute." He started walking closer to me and I moved to stand next to Derek.

"You think I killed Laura on purpose?" Peter asked, "One of my own family?"

Derek growled at Peter and jumped at him, but Peter easily grabbed him by the arms and threw him into the wall. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Stiles crawling out of the room. I grabbed the pocketknife I had taken to carrying around since the night at the school and threw it at Peter. He caught it and threw it back at me, narrowly grazing my cheek.

Peter sauntered over to Derek and picked him by the throat. "My mind, my personality were literally burned out of me. I was being driven by pure instinct." He dropped Derek on the floor and grabbed something out of Jennifer's pocket.

"You want forgiveness?" Derek got up from the floor and punched Peter square in the jaw. Peter grabbed Derek's jacket and headbutted him in the face.

"I want understanding." He pushed me and kicked Derek in the chest, sending us both flying backwards. "Do you have any idea - What it was like for me during those years? Slowly healing, cell by cell. Even more slowly coming back to consciousness. Yes, becoming an Alpha, taking that from Laura pushed me over a plateau in the healing process." Peter looked down at me, "And little Alexandria and her healing powers. I can't help that."

Derek picked himself up from the ground and tried to punch Peter again. Peter blocked all of his punches and grabbed Derek's arm, twisting it painfully. "I tried to tell you what was happening. I tried to warn you." Peter picked Derek up and threw him through a glass wall.

Derek crawled away from Peter, through the broken glass. Peter advanced on him, not sparing me a glance. I picked up a large piece a jagged glass and crept a good distance away from him. We entered another room and Derek propped himself up against the wall.

I rushed forward and stabbed Peter in the back. Peter turned around and grabbed me by the throat, seemingly unaffected by the piece of glass in his back. His eyes turned hard and suddenly I was flying through the air, there was a sickening crack as my head connected with the wall.

I crumpled to the ground and heard Derek shout something, but I couldn't make out what he said. "I was going to wait, for dramatic flair - but - When you look this good, why wait?" I groaned in pain and gingerly lifted my head as Peter flipped a mirror and the burned side of his face returned to normal. "Derek, you have to give me a chance to explain. After all, we're family."

"No."

"No?"

Derek lifted himself up from the ground, "You killed Laura and you expect me to listen to your bullshit excuses?"

I lifted myself up shakily. Peter grabbed my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. "I wish people would stop-" I struggled in his grasp, "manhandling me." I grunted.