Chapter 2

The ground was cold when Allen awoke. Cold and white. He arose to behold a room of marble. It was a circular room with seven beautifully crafted wooden doors along the walls. A balcony draped in red velvet curtains lingered above, perched on marble columns and decorated with fine gold. A glass, domed ceiling hung overhead.

He turned and looked around; his friends were beginning to wake up as well. Lenalee opened her eyes and coughed violently for a moment as she tried to sit up. Her body was weak, trembling with what energy it had.

"Lenalee!" Allen cried as he crawled to her, holding her carefully in his arms.

She coughed and slowly examined her surroundings. "Where are we Allen?" Fear sat in her voice.

"I don't know Lenalee. I don't know." The Generals all were coming to their senses. Nine, when she realized her weapon was missing, searched frantically around her for the monkey. It was dropped in front of an pillar, recovering like it's master. She rushed to it, making hurt it was safe; it was. Tiedoll was more worried for Kanda and Noise than himself. He was like the loving father none of them wanted, checking to make sure they weren't injured. Kanda was not very grateful for his master's attention.

Socalo was standing strong, looking ready to explode at any moment, unlike Cross. He was examining the beauty of the room. Running his fingers down the columns, he learned that bible versus were engraved in them. "How strange."

Allen helped Lenalee to her feet and everyone gathered in the center of the room. No one was sure of what was going on. They all broke out into worried chatter; Bookman silenced them.

"A sleeping gas was used on us. We were attacked last night."

"The Earl." Kanda growled. He clenched his fist tight and anger built up inside him. Allen thought that it was strange that he was getting angry at the Earl. It was just not like him. Something was up.

Cross looked up, and before anyone could do anything, he had Judgement in his hands and fired at the Balcony. At the Earl. Everyone swiftly activated their weapons, to no avail. The balcony was protected. Noah surrounded the Earl; Road waved at Allen. Tyki shared a quick, solemn look with Kanda.

"Hello Exorcists. ♡" The Earl welcomed. The Noah laughed and smiled, excited for something. Allen was afraid to know what.

"Why have you gathered us here!?" Cross yelled, lighting a cigar and taking a quick smoke.

"Glad you asked. You're all here to play my game. ♡" Everyone looked at each other confused. Game? Lavi looked at everyone a bit more fearful than they. He knew, personally, what it felt like when the Earl played games. Allen watched as Lavi tried to hold back tears. "Road, explain. ♡"

Road smiled and perched herself on the railing. "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

"And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." Skin spoke after her.

"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

"And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

"And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day." He ate a sweet candy and silenced himself. Devit laughed and spoke next.

"And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

"And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

"And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

"And the evening and the morning were the third day.

On and on, each Noah went reciting the creation story from Genesis, until Tyki was left to give the seventh day. "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

"And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." He smiled and the exorcists awaited what was to happen next. Silence.

"If you are disciples of God, the same one who created the world in seven days, surely he will save you in the same time.♡" The first set of doors swung open. Darkness stretched it's fingers from the secret depths.

Allen looked at the door and then back at the Earl. "What makes you think we'll do anything you say!?"

The Earl chuckled, as if he knew that would be said. Simply, he motioned for seven akuma to bring out the seven finders that had been traveling with them. Allen didn't notice before that they were missing. "For each day you refuse or fail, one of your own dies along with a finder. It's your choice. ♡"

"And who will be slain amongst us?" Tiedoll asked. The Earl said nothing. Tiedoll nodded and began to walk to the door.

Lenalee ran in front of him. "What are you doing?! You can't do what he says."

He smiled and patted her head. "Someday, you'll understand. We must continue on or innocent lives will be lost. While we destroy the Akuma, was save each mortal, living and dead." He walked into the doorway, turned to his comrades and smiled. "Your choice is now. Will you stand up and fight or hide in this glittering palace?"

***

The Akuma waited inside her casket, itching for the moment to be released. 'It couldn't be long from now,' She thought, 'The game has started and they will soo plunge through the seven levels of hell.' The idea of the exorcists in hell made her laugh. It was a beautiful, clear laugh, but no one was there to hear it.

'What greater shame that my beauty is to go to waste. Oh well, it will be revealed soon enough.' She began to plot her reveal, afterall, it was about time the exorcists learned of the fabled level 5.

***

Road sat on the couch watching the monitor that had the exorcists on it. They were all discussing what to do; Tiedoll gave his speech and left. Soon the rest followed him. "Earl-sama, this is so boring!" She complained.

"Be patient Road. The game has only just begun. ♡" The Earl had immediately returned to his duty: knitting while waiting for a call to action.

Road pouted and watched him work. "What are you making?"

"Its just a hobby to pass the time. ♡" He answered. "Now go wash up, family dinner will be soon. ♡"

"Okay!" Road jumped up and walked to her room. As she went to "wash up" she felt a twinge of pain in her heart. 'Why does my chest hurt so bad?' Road wondered as she cast aside a rag she was holding. 'It's sharp and painful, like something heavy.' Her hand felt it's way over her chest, just above her beating heart.

It pounded like a rock that was constantly being beaten upon a boulder, harder and harder each time. The feeling made her worry, for it seemed she would explode. 'What...what is this feeling!?' She thought as she cried silently. A breathe escaped her lips and the single word:

"Guilt."