Chapter 3

The room they entered was square and dark. When the last one was in, the door slammed shut behind them. Silence and darkness. Both danced together in a fluent, sinister melody only they could hear. Silence graced the exorcist's ears; darkness their eyes.

Allen looked through the shadows and his eye activated. He laughed. "Level 1. This must be a joke." He activated Crown Clown and defeated an akuma. As the soul went towards heaven, a light lit a fraction of the room.

One by one, akuma were vanquished. Little by little, light flooded the room. Lenalee took the part on defeating the last level 1; it's ashes fell to the floor and a little chunk of silver landed -click click clunk- at her feet. She leaned over and held it in her hand.

"A key handle?" Lavi looked over her shoulder and everyone crowded around to look at it. Silver swirled delicately in gentle, arching movements. A simple diamond sat in the center, reflecting the light all around them.

Nine was next to hold it. "This is what we get? It's no bigger than a quarter." It was true. The handle could have easily passed as an expensive American quarter.

"Whatever it's for, it must be important." Socalo said. He was right.

The door began to return, this time bearing a lock. Allen took the lock and ran to the door. Before he could slip it in, he stopped and inhaled deeply. "Smell that? It's food!" His fingers fumbled with the piece until Cross pushed him aside and clicked it in.

"Idiot pupil." He muttered as he opened the door. They were greeted by the marble room, only this time it was filled with sleeping bags and had a banquet table sitting in the middle, fresh food displayed. One of the finders lay unconscious amongst the bags.

Lenalee, Lavi, and Bookman ran to the finder. Bookman looked him over for wounds. "He is fine. They did nothing." A sigh of relief rushed through everyone, except Allen. He was busy eating. The others slowly joined in, took up a bag, and went off to their own little space.

Allen finished eating and looked around. The feeling wasn't exactly somber but might as well have been. He watched as Lenalee ate slowly. Grudgingly. Walking to her side, he set up his bag by her.

"Hey Lenalee."

"Hi Allen." Her voice was thick with sadness. She stared at the floor, fighting back tears.

Allen frowned and asked her what was wrong. She shed a tear and looked at Allen.

"I'm trying to be strong. I really am, but I miss my brother too much. It worries me not knowing where he is and what's become of him." Streams of salt sorrow flowed from her eyes; Allen couldn't help but cry too.

He took her hand in his and mustered up his most comforting smile. "I'm sure he's fine, but right now, he'd want you to worry about your own safety. Afterall, he's probably pretty worried himself."

Lenalee wiped her eyes and smiled. "You're right. Thanks for cheering me up Allen." Wrapping her arms around him, they sat in a teary embrace. It made Allen feel all warm inside. His heart flutter in ways he never knew before.

'What's this feeling?' He though as he hugged her back. 'Is this...love?"

***

Bookman knelt by the finder, mixing a medicine with the food he had been offered. Lavi sat near him, devouring a chunk of grilled meat. He loved it dearly, and even more so due to the deprivation of it he had been through for many months. It tasted even better than before. The juices, the sauce, everything.

"Lavi, behave yourself." Bookman ordered. "Now, help hold his mouth open." He motioned towards the finder and Lavi nodded.

"Right." Putting aside his meal, he held open the jaw of the man as Bookman poured the concoction down his throat.