Chapter 9

The door opened to the coast as the exorcists left the garden. Sun basked their skin in warmth. They all, one by one, fell to their knees and ran their fingers through the grass.

Cross looked to the cliff line at Maria as she gazed out. The body of the akuma shifted to a softer skin as the wind whipped her hair. He walked to her and took her hand.

"It has been so long since I've seen anything like this." She turned to him, tears streaming down her cheeks, a smile on her face.

He smiled back at her. "I don't doubt it."

Allen looked up at his master and the akuma, though she looked normal now. A woman with long curling hair and bright eyes. Normal, happy smiling eyes. "Maria?"

"Yes?" She looked at him and smiled. "What is it?"
"This is all impossible." Allen rose to his feet as the others watched. "You're an-"

"An Akuma? I know." Her smile fell and she turned back to the sea. "There is simply to much to explain right now to all of you. Especially you, my love." She looked back at Cross and gently touched his face. She avoided the mask.

"We should all move on," Marian spoke softly. "My best bet is that there is a town around here somewhere."

No one spoke as they walked down from the cliff, carefully following a natural trail through the bushes. There was nothing to say.

They arrived in a small town as the sun began to set. The strings of lights glistened above the streets as the people retired to their homes. The inn was quiet and they settled for the night.

Maria sat in a room with Cross as he stood by the window, gazing out to the sea, a lit cigarette in hand.

"Where did you go?"

"What do you mean?"

"The island. You left. I thought you were gone. I thought..." His voice became quieter.

"You thought another exorcist had found me."

Cross put the cigarette in his mouth and exhaled. "Yes."

Maria stood and moved beside him, placing her hand on his back. "There are things you cannot understand that happened a very long time ago. Things that I am even unsure of if I understand. I left and now, I am found."

"I know." He looked down at her and touched her face. "Maria, my wonderful, beautiful Maria. You have no idea how long I have wandered lonely without you."

"And you have no idea how much I wanted to return. How much I wanted to go to the order to be with you."

"Now you can."

"Yes. I can. But will they accept me?"

"I do not know." Cross sighed. "But if you have innocence, they cannot deny you."

"Marian, I asked it to be with you until I could wield it again."

"Can you?"

"I don't know. The sun has set and I can see the tired in your eyes. Please, go to sleep. I will be beside you all night long and I won't leave."

"Promise me?"

"I promise you."

"Alright."