03: Apparently I Need To Go Back To Spy School Because I Suck At Sneaking Around

Y/N ROGERS

I ran through the woods, snow and sticks biting at my bare feet. I ran as fast as I could, dodging trees left and right. There were footsteps behind me – and they were catching up. I risked a glance behind me to see the Winter Soldier pursuing me. I knew he was going to hurt me – as soon as he caught me, he'd drag me back to Hydra. The metal of his arm glinted as his arm rose, a gun shining in the light–

Before I could think, a blue blur rushed past me, breaking my concentration on my imminent death. The blue blur slowed down and became a boy with silver hair and eyes like the sky on a clear day. He looked at me for a while, but I couldn't recognise him. His face was ever changing, and as soon as I got close enough to identify him, his face changed again.

"Who are you?" I asked, but the boy didn't answer.

A vibranium hand clamped down on his shoulder, different to the metal of the Winter Soldier's arm. It seemed darker, and less... human. It pulled the boy back, back, back, into a cloud of darkness. I called out a name that I knew, a name that I wouldn't remember when I awoke...

"Y/n!"

I woke up with a gasp, sitting up straight. Steve had his hand on my shoulder, a concerned expression on his face. My breathing was quick and shallow as I thought about the boy. The boy whose name I knew in my dream, that was on the tip of my tongue...

"It was a nightmare," Steve consoled. "It wasn't real."

But it was real. It hadn't happened – none of it had happened before, but it was real. The boy was real, I knew it. But I didn't know how to explain it.

"Breathe," Steve commanded. "In, and out."

Steve began taking deep breaths and I synced my own breathing with his.

In, and out...

In, and out...

In...

          and...

                        out...

"You're awake," Steve assured, and I nodded.

I realised there were tear tracks on my cheeks and I rubbed them away in embarrassment. Steve pretended not to notice, which I was grateful for.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Steve asked. I shook my head. "Sam's making breakfast," he mentioned, changing the subject. "Want me to make sure he saves some for you?"

"Yes, please," I replied.

Steve smiled at me and rubbed my shoulder comfortingly before standing up and leaving my room. I rubbed my hands over my face, annoyed that I couldn't remember the boy's name. He seemed important, somehow.

I had been at the tower for two weeks now. It was strange, at first, spending so much time with the Avengers and their friends, but I'd slowly made connections with them. Sam was a friend of Steve's and an Avenger too, and he was always nice to me. I'd met Rhodey and Pepper, who were both amazing, as well as Jane Foster, who was as smart as she was beautiful.

I got dressed and ready for breakfast before taking the elevator to the common floor. The common floor consisted of two lounge rooms, two kitchens, a dining room and a large balcony that overlooked the city.

The elevator doors opened and I heard voices from the kitchen, so I started heading over there, but paused when I heard Steve's angry voice, as well as a few others, including that of Nick Fury. What was he doing here? I knew that I probably shouldn't, but I hid behind a corner and listened in.

"You want her to start field training?" Steve exclaimed. "She's sixteen!"

"She's a bit young, don't you think?" Natasha added.

"You were younger," Fury reminded her.

There was a scoff from the widow. "This isn't about me."

"She's an asset," Fury explained. "Photon blasts, flight, healing and regeneration... She's as good as a God of Thunder on the field. She could be a tide turner if the Avengers are losing a battle."

There was silence after his words as everyone took them in. No one argued against him – his words were true. But Steve still ploughed forwards against Fury.

"She's sixteen," he repeated. "She's a kid."

"She's a trained assassin," Fury countered. "The Winter Soldier trained her himself."

There was a small clang, and then a muffled, "She's listening."

That was Clint, and I froze in mortification at the fact that I'd been caught eavesdropping. I slowly rounded the corner, guilt written all over my face. Steve had his arms crossed and was glaring across the room at Fury. Natasha had a frown on her face and Clint was... Clint was jumping out of the vents.

Snitch.

Fury turned to me. "It's your choice," he said.

I looked at the individual Avengers, all of which were looking at me with a mix of concern and pity on their faces. I didn't want their pity.

"I want to train," I declared. "I want to help take Hydra down. I can do it, I've been training for years." The last part was directed mostly at Steve, if only to calm his worries.

"Then it's decided," Fury stated. "You start your field training today."

WORDS: 0.8K

NOTE: This is a very short chapter, sorry about that. Hope u still enjoyed :)