15: I Am The Funniest Person To Ever Grace The Earth

PIETRO MAXIMOFF

"Where is she?" I demanded.

The six Avengers, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Wanda and Vision were all standing in the control room of the helicarrier. Vision had saved my sister from the falling city, but he was still holding onto her. I hoped that glaring at him would convince him to put her down.

"She's under the city," Steve gulped, eyes wide and fists clenched in worry.

"There – I made a hole," Tony breathed. "She might have gone in..."

"The factory?" I questioned, and he nodded. "I know where she is. Someone take me down there."

And that's how I ended up clinging to Thor as he flew us out of the helicarrier and down to the ground. Wind roared in my ears and tousled my hair as we sped to the earth, and when we landed dust flew up around us.

I nodded at Thor before rushing off, hearing the world disappear around me as I ran through the decimated city. Most of the buildings had been ruined, but there were a few still standing, although they had suffered a lot of damage. There was dust and debris all around, as well as robot parts. I ran past it all to the entrance to the factory.

Most of the tunnels were okay, but I had to take a few new turns in some places. It was dark, and I wish I'd brought a torch or something, but the light of the blue wisps behind me lit it up just enough for me to see. It was in the dark when thoughts began to plague me. What if she hadn't made it? What if she'd been crushed by the city? What if she was caved in somewhere?

"Y/n?" I called, hoping to hear some sort of response. "Y/n?!"

"Pietro?"

I let out a choked breath of relief as I heard her voice. I ran towards the sound and found her sitting against a wall, eyes barely open and glowing faintly. I knelt down next to her and she turned her head slightly to look at me. I placed a hand on her cheek and she leaned into the touch, as if her head was too heavy to hold herself.

"It's okay," I assured. "I've got you, Princessa. I am going to pick you up now."

She nodded softly and I reached behind her back and under her knees before lifting her up. She fit comfortably in my arms and she let out a sigh before resting her head against my chest. I made sure she was secured before rushing off and above ground.

When the light hit my eyes I had to blink a few times to adjust to it. I ran back to where I'd left Thor to see a quinjet, as well as Steve pacing back and forth. I stopped beside them and Steve turned to me frantically, reaching for Y/n. I let him take her (albeit reluctantly) and he held her closely, assessing her.

"Is – is she–"

Steve's voice caught, and I shook my head. "Just tired."

Steve let out a long breath and nodded slowly, looking at Y/n like she was the most important thing in his world. It was the way my father used to look at Wanda and me, and I felt my chest tighten a little bit.

Natasha came out of the quinjet and rushed over to Steve's side to examine Y/n and her potential injuries. But there were none, and she only found a tired girl asleep in her father-figure's arms.

"Alright, let's go back up," Natasha directed. She turned to look at me. "Fury still wants to talk to you."

I felt my chest tighten and a sense of dread entered my body, but I simply nodded and entered the jet with the others. Sure, I could have run away, and none of them would have been able to catch me, but they still had Wanda on the helicarrier, and I didn't want to leave Y/n behind.

The thought of not wanting to leave Y/n behind surprised me a bit. Sure, I hadn't wanted her to die at the hands of Ultron, but this was different. Y/n was safe here, with these people, with the Avengers. So why couldn't I leave her?

The jet landed on the helicarrier and we all exited, Steve still cradling Y/n's body. He murmured something to Natasha and she nodded, prompting him to peel away from us and down a different corridor. As she noticed that my gaze followed them, Natasha informed me that Steve was just taking her to the medical bay.

When we reached the control centre, Wanda was sitting on a chair, spinning her rings around her fingers. Vision stood behind her, and she looked up when I entered the room. I walked over and took the seat beside my sister.

"Are you okay?" I murmured.

She nodded. "Are you?" After my own nod, she added, "Is Y/n?"

"She's okay," I responded quietly.

Footsteps approached us and we fell silent as Nick Fury towered over us. I wanted to say something about his eyepatch but I knew this was probably the worst time to do so. I could save it for later.

"So," Fury began, his eye narrowing. "You two have caused quite a bit of trouble for us."

"We are sorry for the harm we have caused," Wanda said quietly.

"We were blinded by fury," I added.

Fury turned his eye on me, as if he knew that I had chosen my words carefully enough so that my jokes would seem to be sincere. Which I was – of course I was sincere. I just couldn't help the fact that I was funny.

"Well, you did a good job here today," he said finally. "You've got fight in you. We'd like to have you join the Avengers."

Wanda and I looked at each other, and had a quick mental conversation, going over the pros and cons. The pros did win out, and we turned back to Fury and the other five Avengers.

"We'd like that," I agreed.

"Great," Fury acknowledged. "Welcome to the Avengers."

WORDS: 1K

NOTES: im going down a true crime spiral lol