14: Why Bother Going To The Gym When I Can Lift A City

Y/N ROGERS

Steve gave us his orders and we all exited the jet, hurrying to complete our duties. I was to help evacuate alongside Wanda, Pietro, Steve, and Clint. Tony was off to distract Ultron with Vision following in order to bar Ultron from the internet. Thor was heading under the city to see what Ultron had been working on, and Bruce was tasked with finding Natasha.

Red wisps trailed through the city, convincing the citizens of Sokovia to pack up and evacuate. Pietro was running around, helping get word across, while Steve and I worked at the bridge, encouraging the Sokovians to hurry.

As I waved a car across the bridge, I heard a cracking and then something grabbed my leg. I looked down at the metal hand wrapped around my ankle and I kicked out, breaking off the limb with the force. The robot pulled the rest of its body from the ground and I punched it with a power-wreathed fist, watching it shatter into parts.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the only one. Robots attacked the city from above and below, causing panic and fear to fester within the civilians. They ran to escape the robots, hiding wherever they were able to. I tried to help them as best I could, taking down bot after bot in an attempt to save them.

A rumbling began to sound, causing me to cast my gaze back to the bridge. Cracks began to appear in the road, stones and pieces of concrete beginning to fall through. Our side of the bridge began to rise, and I rushed over to Steve who stood at the edge, watching as the city began to fly.

"Do you see?" Ultron's voice rang from all around us. "The beauty of it, the inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

Steve looked at me, genuine fear in his eyes. I could see the order forming in his eyes, the command for me to get out and to safety on the tip of his tongue, but I forcefully shook my head.

"I'm not leaving," I protested. Steve still looked determined to get me to safety, so I continued, "I can do this, Steve. You guys need me. Didn't Fury say I was a tide turner? I'm ready for this – I've been training my whole life for this."

Steve looked at me for a long moment before taking a deep breath. I heard something out of my ear and turned to face the edge of the city, spotting a bot barrelling for Steve, only metres away. I blasted it with my power, demolishing it with a single hit, and Steve raised his shield to protect himself from the parts that rained down.

"Cap, you got incoming," Tony warned through the comms.

"Incoming already came in," Steve panted. "Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed... walk it off."

I rolled my eyes at the last statement, punching a robot in the head as it got too close. The fight between flesh and metal raged on, the robots pouring in like a river, relentless and never-ending.

"Y/n, I need your help," Clint grunted.

"On it," I replied, shooting a robot with my power as I flew up and up.

I spotted Clint in one of the smaller streets, fighting robot after robot all by himself. As I readied my power, the doors of one of the houses in front of me burst open, and Wanda walked out, determination evident in her scarlet eyes. She shot a ball of red magic at one of the robots, and the power clung to it before tearing it apart and launching its torso at another bot.